Second battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have dual batteries on two of my trucks grounded the second battery to the engine block, shortened the power wire to the fuse block, and added a cable between the positive terminals of both batteries. Downside is one battery will carry the other if it goes bad, and by the time you figure it out you have two dead batteries. So you have to think to check them every now and then.

Demon Mudder

Reaction score
Just a suggestion could always just wire it up the like the diesel trucks are. On my 95 the alt charge wire goes to the drivers side battery a positive cable connects the 2 positives and the grounds go to the block on each side of the engine. Doing it this way doesn't enable you to isolate a battery from the other but it is super simple.
That would probably be fine too. Just as long as I can still start the truck after using some fun accessories I have planned (one in particular) for a few hours each day. Though, the one, shouldn't pull much at all, so it would probably take a week at a minimum before it could kill a battery. Hopefully I can get to that project soon enough, trying to keep it down till its done

Demon Mudder

Reaction score
I have dual batteries on two of my trucks grounded the second battery to the engine block, shortened the power wire to the fuse block, and added a cable between the positive terminals of both batteries. Downside is one battery will carry the other if it goes bad, and by the time you figure it out you have two dead batteries. So you have to think to check them every now and then.
That's not a bad idea to make a habit of, like to know everything is running ship shape as much as possible! So checking the batteries now and then would be good

Turbo4whl

Reaction score
Just a suggestion could always just wire it up the like the diesel trucks are. On my 95 the alt charge wire goes to the drivers side battery a positive cable connects the 2 positives and the grounds go to the block on each side of the engine. Doing it this way doesn't enable you to isolate a battery from the other but it is super simple.
That is what I did on my 3500 (454) for more jump starting power.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jumper plug behind the bowtie.

Demon Mudder

Reaction score
That's exactly what I want, I need to find a battery tray for the left side!

That is definitely an interesting method!
Okay, got myself a 3500 driver side battery tray (just ignore the fact that I busted a corner, may see about reinforcing it before throwing it in), though now I run into the other issue. I need to move stuff on the driver side to make it fit, what all did y'all do for that?

Attachments

• 20220824_143341(0).jpg
    20220824_143341(0).jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220824_143336.jpg
    20220824_143336.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220824_143155.jpg
    20220824_143155.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 12

Demon Mudder

Reaction score
What's this dingus (see red arrow)?

If it's GM issued, it looks mis-placed. Else, perhaps it's owner-added.

Either way, it needs to be moved.

That would be the wire for my lightbar at the moment, till I add in some more wire and run it a lil' nicer lol
The wiring it came with wasn't quite long enough to reach from the passenger side battery all the way back over to the driver side and next to the gauge cluster. It's temporary till I nab myself some more solder, I'll add some extra wire in so I have more to play with and can tuck it in, but right now it's not up against anything or going to fall into anything which is fine and works for the moment.