Second battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Does that clearance look ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it may be close to rubbing the pad under the hood, especially after you add the post clamps. Put some cardboard on top of it and try shutting the hood nice and easy to see if it pushes into the cardboard.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
^yep, I did something similar on my plow truck, I just put some thick plastic on top of the positive terminal in case it bounces around. (mines just a snow plow truck for my own driveway though)

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a dual-battery wiring diagram from the 1998 service manual, FWIW (attached).

See pg. 3.

Pg. 1 is for the ZM9 upfitter option.

Of course the 2nd battery can always be wired "as desired". Some use a relay to isolate the battery when the ignition is off, and to connect the battery when the ignition is on (to charge it), akin to how some RV auxiliary batteries are wired.

Attachments

• GMT400 - RPO ZM9 High-power ALT mega fuse.pdf
    790.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Demon Mudder

Reaction score
Here's a dual-battery wiring diagram from the 1998 service manual, FWIW (attached).

See pg. 3.

Pg. 1 is for the ZM9 upfitter option.

Of course the 2nd battery can always be wired "as desired". Some use a relay to isolate the battery when the ignition is off, and connect the battery when the ignition is on (to charge it), akin to how some RV batteries are wired.
I'll have to pull it up later, my phone won't let me view more than the first page diagram. Though that's what I'd like to do, hook in a second battery to charge alongside the main one, but use it for some accessories, safely while the engine off.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I'd like to do, hook in a second battery to charge alongside the main one, but use it for some accessories, safely while the engine off.

That's how it's wired on my Suburban.

A heavy-duty (high-current capacity) relay was added (mounted on the driver's fenderwell in my case). The relay is energized by the IGN, and the relay's contacts are wired in-series with a lead running between an "accy" stud on the firewall fuse box and the 2nd battery's POS.

The 2nd battery's NEG is wired to vehicle ground; my preference would be to connect it to

- the other battery's NEG terminal, or

- the ground wire connection on the passenger's fender (which is already wired to the 1st battery's NEG terminal, on my truck anyway), or

- the engine block, anywhere

Demon Mudder

Reaction score
That's how it's wired on my Suburban.

A heavy-duty (high-current capacity) relay was added (mounted on the driver's fenderwell in my case). The relay is energized by the IGN, and the relay's contacts are wired in-series with a lead running between an "accy" stud on the firewall fuse box and the 2nd battery's POS.

The 2nd battery's NEG is wired to vehicle ground; my preference would be to connect it to

- the other battery's NEG terminal, or

- the ground wire connection on the passenger's fender (which is already wired to the 1st battery's NEG terminal, on my truck anyway), or

- the engine block, anywhere
Sounds like a plan for a set up, issue now is, finding a tray for it, needed to make a junkyard run anyway, so hopefully I'll get lucky.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a suggestion could always just wire it up the like the diesel trucks are. On my 95 the alt charge wire goes to the drivers side battery a positive cable connects the 2 positives and the grounds go to the block on each side of the engine. Doing it this way doesn't enable you to isolate a battery from the other but it is super simple.