Scanner Tool To Set The Timing????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What's the odds of gettin it right without the scan tool? I changed my distributor and it runs fine. Jus curious if I should have mine done. Thanks

My understanding is that it has o be way off before it sets a code...like over 20 degrees. Spec is +/- 2 degrees. Mine was at 7 and seemed to run fine. It's now 0 or 1 (it switches between the two if you watch it) and seems to run the same.

It should be easy enough to set it to run without a tool, but it may not run as well as it could. I highly doubt you'll get it right on, as it changes with little movement of the distributor.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with it not changing until I realized the reading would change if I shut my truck off, unplugged the adapter & then reconnected to it. I know seems like a lot of steps but I couldn’t complain for the price.
I used dash command and didn't have this problem. CMP Offset would update as I adjusted the distributor. Must be in your obd dongle.

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would someone with the knowledge and permissions create a sticky thread for what scanners solutions are known to work with the gmt400s?

I've seen references to Tech II (original or clone) but only if it's loaded with at least some version of software or GM subscription...

There's also a mix of Bluetooth/Wifi/hardwired OBD scanners that can be paired with various applications. I'm curious what are the known working combinations?

I'm sure there are other functions of interest, but the ones I'd like to see include: Camshaft Position and ABS cycle. I'd expect the only scanners that can cycle the ABS are of the Tech II variety (or other expensive tool).

thx,
andy

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen references to Tech II (original or clone) but only if it's loaded with at least some version of software or GM subscription...

The only thing you should need to run a Tech 2 (clone or authentic) is the appropriate card for the vehicles you're trying to work on. Which are included in most of the listings, you can choose whichever one you need and/or buy additional ones. They're cheap, like $10-$15 each.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are other functions of interest, but the ones I'd like to see include: Camshaft Position and ABS cycle. I'd expect the only scanners that can cycle the ABS are of the Tech II variety (or other expensive tool).
EVERY "real" scan tool will do all that stuff and more, given the appropriate software for the tool and the vehicle.

The question is which of the consumer-grade-junk tools will do it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
EVERY "real" scan tool will do all that stuff and more, given the appropriate software for the tool and the vehicle.

The question is which of the consumer-grade-junk tools will do it.
Right and not every DIY'er has a budget for shop-grade scan tools. Should they not ask the question?

Richard

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a write-up on another forum as to how to set up Torque pro to read Cam Offset. I would link it but not sure if linking to another forum is proper etiquette here.

Either way a simple google search will show it.

I have had good results with Torque and a cheap ELM327 adapter, with a total cost of less than $20. So if you can add a couple PIDs to get that functionality it would be worth it. I haven't tried it because I have HPTuners and it it provides it and has the option of kicking the idle to 2000rpms at the same time.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There is a write-up on another forum as to how to set up Torque pro to read Cam Offset. I would link it but not sure if linking to another forum is proper etiquette here.

Either way a simple google search will show it.

I have had good results with Torque and a cheap ELM327 adapter, with a total cost of less than $20. So if you can add a couple PIDs to get that functionality it would be worth it. I haven't tried it because I have HPTuners and it it provides it and has the option of kicking the idle to 2000rpms at the same time.
I've often linked write-ups from Chevytalk (generally ones I've written) and haven't been bitched at for it...yet?

Torque Pro is pretty useful though I've found some of the cheaper dongles don't work well with GM trucks. At least the super-common transparent blue "miniELM327" I had did not; wouldn't even connect no matter how many options I tried. I spent a few bucks more for the BAFX Products dongle, still a bargain at like $23 total, and it works great on my GM trucks and on my Mopars.

Richard

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks!

Exactly the info I’m looking for regarding the OBD scanners and software.

I get that a “real” scanner will do it all but haven’t needed the advanced functions other than the ABS bleed yet.

So until that day, $25 here or there is not bad. It’s when the decimal shifts in the price or a comma moves that things become a problem...

Thx again !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk