Scanner Tool To Set The Timing????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramp

Reaction score
OK, Shall try again tomorrow.

The other software I have used seemed more intuitive when trying to connect to the vehicle. I'll look more closely at Torque Pro.

It is interesting that I have removed this distributor in the past and replaced after setting to TDC. Now for some reason no matter what I do it falls on either side of the set mark.

Thanks

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just used dash command and a bafx bluetooth dongle to do mine. Had to buy the $10 GM add-on for dash command, but it did it just fine with no issues. Super easy to do.
Get someone to hold it at 1100 rpm while you adjust the distributor and watch the offset.

Last edited:

williscr3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
does this need done for 96? im seeing that 97 and up are non adjustable distributors. i tried the torque settings it didnt work, so i downloaded dashcommand and added the gm pid for an extra $9.95 and theres no option for any camshaft Retard timing. i drove the truck around the block the check engine light never came on. i aligned the distributor the same way it came out and was on cyl 1 TDC before removed so i installed it same way. not sure what to think about this.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
does this need done for 96? im seeing that 97 and up are non adjustable distributors. i tried the torque settings it didnt work, so i downloaded dashcommand and added the gm pid for an extra $9.95 and theres no option for any camshaft Retard timing. i drove the truck around the block the check engine light never came on. i aligned the distributor the same way it came out and was on cyl 1 TDC before removed so i installed it same way. not sure what to think about this.

It's should be something like CMP Retard or CMP Offset. It's not timing. The PCM adjusts that.

williscr3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah im not seeing it. I went to DATA Grid and tried adding a PID to log, looked for both of those and nothing, went to GAUGES tried adding a gauge and looking for both of those. not sure why im not seeing it. im not sure it downloaded the extended PIDs. i went to account and purchased it but nothing really happened. it shows that its purchased.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is where mine was. Mines a 98 and using an Android tablet:

Data Grid
PIDs
Add PIDs
General
GM.Engine.CMP_RTRD[•]

There were two of them, not sure what the difference is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williscr3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just checked again and there are no gm specific PIDs. I tried while connected to vehicle and when not. i wonder if i have to be connected to wifi for it to work? it checks for wifi while connecting to vehicle. i emailed them to find out why.
thanks for the assistance so far.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe try validating the PIDs...

Vehicle
(Select vehicle)
Validate PIDs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk