Safe to Heli-coil AC bracket to cylinder head?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Pull the head and take it to kennythewelder, or the equivalent in your town. You will spend less time and money doing that than to continue trying to fix it in the truck. A new intake gasket would be an additional benefit of doing that.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pull the head and take it to kennythewelder, or the equivalent in your town. You will spend less time and money doing that than to continue trying to fix it in the truck. A new intake gasket would be an additional benefit of doing that.
A good machine shop that has a good welder, can get it out for you. Our min rate is $45, but on something like that its usually $25.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're going to pull the head anyway, just swap it for the one on the other side. That will put the broken bolt at the back of the engine.

Olypen Guy

Reaction score
Originally, the hope was to not have to pull the heads. All a moot point once they've got to be pulled. I've got access to a welder if I can bring the head in, I can swap sides, or my uncle has a low mileage set I can have. Just going to put the low mileage set on and be done with it. Over 150 in parts and all the time I'll have invested, I don't think I'll ever go to using an easy out again. Not worth the extra headache and time in the least bit.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
The problem with trying to avoid removing the head is you spend more time trying to fix it that way than you would have spent just pulling the head. That's 53 years of experience speaking, and trust me, the shortcut rarely works and you end up doing the whole job anyway after wasting a bunch of time.