rocker arm adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its vortec.
WHICH "Vortec"? Six-popper? Vee-six? Small-block? Big-block? What year?

You can do half at #1 tdc, rotate 360 and get the rest
Doesn't even have to be at TDC.

or you can do it with the engine running.
There was a time when that was my "go-to" method. I have valve covers cut for access to the adjuster nuts, holds-in the oil spray.

I need to clarify something. Is valve lash supposed to be adjusted for each cylinder in the exact middle of overlap (TDC for that cylinder), or is last supposed to be set off the base circle of the cam?
NEVER in "overlap", always on the base circle.

As long as it's on the base circle, it'll be fine. TDC on compression stroke satisfies this condition.
Yup. But then you're dicking with rotating the crank every cylinder.

The fastest, easiest way to adjust hydraulic lifters on a Chevy small-block Vortec:

Start with the crank in ANY position. Doesn't matter where it is. You'll have to make a mark on the damper lined-up with the timing pointer if you don't start with the existing timing marks lined-up, though.

Loosen all the rocker nuts so you have lash on every pushrod. Tighten ALL the rockers to just remove the lash. This is the "zero-lash" point.

Rotate the crank exactly one turn. This is why you either had to have the timing marks aligned, or make your own alignment mark on the damper.

SOME of the rockers will be loose. Tighten only the loose ones to the zero-lash point.

Tighten ALL the rockers "your choice" of preload. Used to be that Chevy recommended one full turn of the adjuster nuts. Most guys I know use 1/2 turn. Some use less. Pick an amount, tighten all the rockers that amount, and lock the adjustment if you're not using self-locking (OEM-style) nuts.

Put the valve covers on. Have a beer. You're done.

oilspot

Reaction score
Okay, just got done. I did it the "long way", EIOC... one cylinder at a time. I was finally able to wrap my mind around it. Understanding what I did will open the door to me possibly using a quicker method.
I grew up doing valve adjustments on air cooled vw's every 3000 miles. The Ol' SBC is for sure a totally different beast and has been a hell of a learning process!!!!

Schurkey... I need to update a signature or make sure to indicate which motor I'm dealing with in future posts!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
IIRC I set my 1500 to 5/8, 3500 at 7/8 (cam loves are aggressive), and my Camaro at a full turn. At the time I was having insane issues with it making the right power so I was going for 100% stock. Like Schurkey said it really doesn't matter as long as they have some preload.