Rider's '81 Dodge D150 RCLB "Son of Thunder"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Ok hopefully i dont get into too much trouble for posting this build log here but...It is a Truck and i am a member soo......

I bought this 1981 Dodge Ram Custom SE in june of last year. Now this truck is my third Dodge full size truck but its my first Ram. The previous two trucks were a 1973 Dodge D100 Adventurer Sport and a 64 Dodge D200 Stepside. The D100 is the truck im going to try to build this Ram into a tribute truck to. The D100 was a project that my dad and i built when i was in high school for me to drive to school with rather then taking the bus. Along the way the truck was dubbed Thunder. The main reason for this was mostly due to what it had under the hood.

Here were the original specs of this truck as it came from the factory:
Slant 6
4 speed trans
unknown rear diff
8 ft long box
bare bones interior.

Here were the specs when it was completed:
318 V8 from a Dodge Aspen stock car
original 4 speed from the slant 6 originally
'Cuda 4 speed transmission with pistol grip shifter after slant 6 transmission fragged
bucket seats from a 'cuda
American Racing torque thrust D rims
Dodge 8 3/4 axle
Autometer tach mounted under the dash in place of ash tray.
Dual exhaust including Headers, exhaust dumps and Flowmaster 40 mufflers with turn down tips.

Now as for the engine specs im not clear on what was all done to the motor since it was built for dads Stock car originally and i wasnt around for that particular engine build. What i do recall is that it made around 450 Hp at the rear wheels in the truck. The specs of the engine that i do know from looking at it were:

Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
Edelbrock Performer heads
unknown size Holley Dominator carb

Thats about all i knew of it, more then likely it was bored out and had all sorts of hidden speed tricks done to it. I cannot ask my father since he passed away in 2001 shortly after Thunder was completed. The only reason i no longer have this truck was because a now former friend stole it one night and totaled it off.

Now onto the current truck at hand...

1981 Dodge Ram Custom SE RCLB

Specs
318 LA V8
Torqueflite 727 transmission
9.25 rear diff with unknown gear ratio

Former superior Propane fleet truck was previously painted Silver and Blue Two tone.
Now currently painted Flat black

Mods done to truck so far:

Old school tube grille
SRB Fog lights mounted behind grille
Steering column swapped for one from a '83 Prospector model with Prospector sport steering wheel
Dual exhaust with Cherry bomb turbo mufflers (done by previous owner)
Dodge CD/Cassette deck from '93 Plymouth Grand voyager
stereo wiring harness created using original radio harness plugs from voyager and using after market wires
Spare tire carrier removed to allow use of Delta cross box
Delta cross box
Seat cover (previous owner)

Repairs done since purchase

Front brakes completely redone with new calipers,rotors, pads and hoses
new plugs and wires
new distributor cap and rotor
new alternator and voltage regulator (however this needs to be redone)
Replaced cargo light switch
replaced headlight surrounds/signal light assemblies

Parts waiting to be installed

Prospector slotted sport wheels
Birdbath style hood from early D series truck

On to the pics...:

This is how it looked when i first got it

You must be registered for see images

Some more recent pics

Last edited:

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Here are the most recent pics of this truck..

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
And now to bring this up to date i just finished installing the LEDs i bought from P2 into this truck since i decided to order a stage 5 kit from Deven for the Sierra. I also finished up wiring the ilumination on the mopar CD/Cassette deck i installed last summer. As well as installed a replacement cargo switch that i got from a fellow DC member.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like it, and it's different, you don't see hardly anyone do anything with that body style Dodge!

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I like it, and it's different, you don't see hardly anyone do anything with that body style Dodge!

Thanks man. The plan atm is to give it a stance similar to the old 454SS and Sport model GMT400s. Basically lower the rear end 2" to level it out and fit the fattest tires i can on the factory sport wheels on the rear end and some slightly smaller tires up front..That or move the 235/75R15s i have on the stock wheels to the sport wheels and get some stock car style wheels for summer use...

here are the sport wheels in question

blue_92_sierra

Aftermath
Reaction score
At least it's not a Ford, I would drive a Dodge and have owned a couple!

:word: not a ford guy at all, and i grew up around chevys and will always be a chevy guy but i would drive a dodge

Looks like a sweet project man! I vote some 295's, possibly 315's out back :rocking: