Replacing Power Steering Speed Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
The Burb is a bit scary to drive fast and I'm hoping it may be a Speed Sensor issue. I typically drive 80+ on the freeway, but in the Burb I stay well below that, more in the 60-70 range, and I still don't feel comfortable when hitting a freeway curve or bump. Basically, any speeds much over 50 on not straight roads, and the steering just doesn't feel sure or stable to me.

I'm thinking it could be a lack of tightness from a dead steering speed sensor. Sound right?

When I read the reviews for this Dorman 905-510 on Amazon, a lot of people mention occasional jerky steering while turning. I can't say I've noticed that, but I figure if mine isn't going out, but completely dead, than maybe I've just got all-time loose steering. And if I'm understanding correctly, once this thing goes out, your in slow-speed mode all the time.

Also, I'm assuming this part is the same for 1500/2500 and 5.7/7.4?

My steering does have a small dead spot, maybe 10 degrees or less, but it's really not that bad. My front tires are at about 65 PSI right now on max 80 PSI slightly oversized tires.

MattZ

Reaction score
I would just remove the valve on the pump and replace it with EVO Steering Bypass Kit From GM. The kit is GM #19168825.
You can just tape up the plug, it should not give you any codes for being unplugged.
I have seen aftermarket pumps that come with the kit installed.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That's the EVO that sounds like it's on it's way out.
Originally developed for the soccer mom's & the fact that consumers want their trucks to drive like a car.
When it is starting to die, sometimes the steering will momentarily feel like you've hit an ice patch.
The cure? Eliminate it.
GM knows it's a POS! They have a kit to delete it.
But there's an easier & cheaper way. I wrote up a 'How-to' a while ago. Can't find that, sooo...

Go to the wreckers & get the hard line from the pump to the box from a non-EVO GMT400. It'll have an extra 180* bend so that it comes around to the back of the pump.
Don't forget to get the brass fitting that's between the line & the pump.

Remove the power steering pump. (Good luck with that! A PitA job at the best of times!)
Along with the line that goes from the EVO/pump to the S.box.

You must be registered for see images attach

Remove that 'C'-clip & pull off the piece that it's holding on. This will make that thin brass nut underneath accessible in order to remove the rest of the EVO from the pump.

Inside the pump behind the EVO, there is a small puck. Make a note of which way it faces. It WILL fall out when you're working on this!

This the part you'll also need from the non-EVO pump. It replaces the EVO itself.
I'd recommend a new 'O' ring, too.

The line won't fit without the brass piece.

Here it is together. Note the extra 180* bend in the hard line.

Here's a tip for doing the install. Don't completely tighten the line tight to the pump. That'll make getting the line to the S.box bolted up much easier. Install the pump & bracket before attaching the line to the box. Things'll line up easier & you won't be fighting with the pump & lines. I just zip tied the electrical connection up & outa the way.
I did this for under $10.00.
It's been done for over a year now & I've had no CEL come on.
And that momentary feeling of hitting ice has never happened since.

MattZ

Reaction score
Good write up sewlow. I have taken and used parts from old pumps and also used the kit to fix this problem. What ever works best for the person doing the job.

When you know GM made that kit to fix the problem, you know GM gave up on fixing the system.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Thanks guys! This is certainly not as easy as simply replacing the sensor, but I like the finality of it.

I'm a little concerned that my problem isn't the speed sensor since I don't have the tell-tale sign of slipping on ice every once and a while. I'm thinking of diagnosing the sensor by simply unplugging it - I figure if my steering doesn't feel any worse/different, than it's a bad steering sensor.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys! This is certainly not as easy as simply replacing the sensor, but I like the finality of it.

I'm a little concerned that my problem isn't the speed sensor since I don't have the tell-tale sign of slipping on ice every once and a while. I'm thinking of diagnosing the sensor by simply unplugging it - I figure if my steering doesn't feel any worse/different, than it's a bad steering sensor.

Sounds like a good place to start to me. I have EVO steering in both of my trucks and as long as everything is working properly I really don't mind it. If I were you and that turned out to be the problem I'd probably just replace the sensor and call it a day. Some great information about the EVO delete in here, though. Nice job guys!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Unplugging the EVO is fine for diagnostics, but doing that puts the EVO into full boost all the time.
It'll eliminate that slipping feeling, but leaving it unplugged for any length of time & sooner than later the EVO unit itself will start spewing fluid from every junction as fast as you can pour it in.
The reason I had to eliminate mine!

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Unplugging the EVO is fine for diagnostics, but doing that puts the EVO into full boost all the time.
It'll eliminate that slipping feeling, but leaving it unplugged for any length of time & sooner than later the EVO unit itself will start spewing fluid from every junction as fast as you can pour it in.
The reason I had to eliminate mine!

Good to know! I unplugged it last night, but haven't test driven her yet. I'm assuming my steering will be about the same as it was before I unplugged it. We'll see.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Took her out for a quick freeway spin today and she drives exactly the same as before I unplugged the sensor. So I'm thinking my sensor was just completely dead.

I'll probably just go ahead and replace the sensor for now, as I'm tired of the sketchy higher speed steering and don't know when I'd get around to doing the proper fix (thanks sewlow), or having a mechanic do it, and the sensor is an easy, and relatively cheap fix.

I'm really hoping this sensor clears up the steering...