Replacing Power Steering Speed Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
A lot of that funky sensation in the steering can be eliminated via a good alignment.
When I have my trucks done, I have the tech dial in as much castor as possible.
This makes the steering have a heavier feel & it will want to come back to center more readily.
Have you had the camber knockouts done? With too much camber, (Top of the tires farther out than the bottom) the tires are actually riding on the outside edges of the tread & that'll make the steering feel twitchy at speed.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
A lot of that funky sensation in the steering can be eliminated via a good alignment.
When I have my trucks done, I have the tech dial in as much castor as possible.
This makes the steering have a heavier feel & it will want to come back to center more readily.
Have you had the camber knockouts done? With too much camber, (Top of the tires farther out than the bottom) the tires are actually riding on the outside edges of the tread & that'll make the steering feel twitchy at speed.

I had her aligned right after I got my new wheels/tires as there was too much rub from my saggy front end. I'm fairly positive the knockouts where not done. That's an interesting point about the castor. I'll have to eyeball it tomorrow and see if it looks good (assuming it's something one can eyeball). The dude who did my alignment actually said my steering components where in fairly good condition (the truck does only have 60k).

My speed sensor is coming tomorrow and I'm hoping that'll do it, but I'll be back to pick your brain if it doesn't...

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Finally got some freeway driving with the new sensor done. I'm happy to say I can once again exceed 50 mph without feeling like I'm about to lose control every time the road curves. Was able to take a relatively (mildly) twisty freeway at about 75 (traffic prohibited any real speed testing) and she felt good.

Of course I've still got some slop and wonder, but I can live with that for now. It's weird that I can't exactly put my finger on the difference now that I've got a working sensor in. I guess it's just a tighter feel. I was also feeling a slight loss of control after hitting bumps at speed that I no longer feel. I just hope this sensor lasts at least a year or two.

My castor looks good as far as I can tell, but I haven't pulled out the level yet to really check.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
So a little over a year later how's the steering now? I think I'm having the same issue with my 97 K1500

It's still going fine. But keep in mind I put less than 4k on this truck each year...

It was so cheap and easy to do, I'd say just go for it. If you're tuck is driving anything like mine was, fixing that scary ass ****, even if it does end up just being a temp job, is worth it.

finley106

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, this part is not available. Any suggestions aside from deleting the valve?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The valve on the pump is bad. I cannot find one.

Do you have a part number by chance? Just tried looking it up on GM Parts Direct but I can't seem to find anything. Never had to replace the actual valve, just the sensors on the column.

finley106

Reaction score
This is what my local dealer gave me to attempt to cross reference. He said all he can find is the short piece of tubing that allows you to use your existing hose. I purchased a 1996 chevy hose to curve around to the back of the pump.