Replacing Power Steering Speed Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Unplugging the EVO is fine for diagnostics, but doing that puts the EVO into full boost all the time.
It'll eliminate that slipping feeling, but leaving it unplugged for any length of time & sooner than later the EVO unit itself will start spewing fluid from every junction as fast as you can pour it in.
The reason I had to eliminate mine!

Dude I unplugged the column sensor at least 5 years ago and it's fine. Full boost mode is normal mode once you delete EVO anyway. In fact, I just bought a new EVO line because my old one was leaking so I wouldn't have to dick around with yanking the pump and doing a full delete.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I had her aligned right after I got my new wheels/tires as there was too much rub from my saggy front end. I'm fairly positive the knockouts where not done. That's an interesting point about the castor. I'll have to eyeball it tomorrow and see if it looks good (assuming it's something one can eyeball). The dude who did my alignment actually said my steering components where in fairly good condition (the truck does only have 60k).

My speed sensor is coming tomorrow and I'm hoping that'll do it, but I'll be back to pick your brain if it doesn't...

Post your alignment sheet up. I'd love to see the specs, I bet they blow especially if the knockouts are still in there. My truck never felt so good until I pinched those POSs out.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dude I unplugged the column sensor at least 5 years ago and it's fine. Full boost mode is normal mode once you delete EVO anyway. In fact, I just bought a new EVO line because my old one was leaking so I wouldn't have to dick around with yanking the pump and doing a full delete.

How do you stand driving around in full boost all the time? When the sensors went out in my trucks I replaced them ASAP, feels dangerous as hell to me, like the wheel doesn't even want to return to center.

I was under the impression that doing a full EVO delete did NOT leave everything stuck on full boost, if it does then yikes...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Full boost is normal, partial boost is evo.

I get what you're saying, but when the sensors fail or are unplugged the system delivers full boost. Full boost all the time feels super sketchy. If that's what the EVO delete feels like I have no idea why anyone would ever choose to do it.

EDIT - Example to clarify what I'm trying to say... I've driven pre-EVO trucks and they don't feel anything like an EVO truck with a malfunctioning system delivering full boost all the time. EVO at full boost at all times feels unsafe to me, especially over 40MPH or so. Way too little resistance in the wheel and zero feedback.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Clarification for me: my evo delete feels the same as my 88 but with less slop.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Strange... Oh well. Agree to disagree I suppose. It's been a while since I've driven a TBI truck so maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion a little but that was definitely not my experience.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is what my local dealer gave me to attempt to cross reference. He said all he can find is the short piece of tubing that allows you to use your existing hose. I purchased a 1996 chevy hose to curve around to the back of the pump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Looked around on Google and that does appear to be a discontinued part unfortunately. If your local dealer can't locate one for you then you might want to check the salvage yards. I'm sure you could pull a used one for pretty cheap.

I wonder if you can still buy an entire new pump with the actuator from anyone, looks like a lot of manufacturers request that you re-use your old actuator.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Strange... Oh well. Agree to disagree I suppose. It's been a while since I've driven a TBI truck so maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion a little but that was definitely not my experience.

From what I'm reading, unplugging the senser leaves it at full boost. Were as the delete drops it to partial boost.