Replacing part of an axle tube.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've never associated the circuit boards going bad with the rust belt. The original design maybe, since they look to be steel, but maybe they're actually corroded copper? The second design that everyone knows don't really rust, though. I always thought maybe it was heat related, unless maybe the heat is generated from corrosion induced resistance?

I don't think I ever killed the newer style, but the OE ones seemed to fail on me from corrosion.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats the early design! You don't see those much. I had a set on my truck for awhile that I got someplace. They didn't work any better than the later design that was failing me.
Holy crap! I haven't seen an old-design set of circuit boards since the ones on my '88 went bad twenty years ago. That's probably the last set on Earth that were still installed on a licensed vehicle.
Now you guys got me curious! Here's what came off my 88 last year when I went with LEDs but, it appears to be the "new" style? I haven't changed them since I bought the truck in 2002.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Now you guys got me curious! Here's what came off my 88 last year when I went with LEDs but, it appears to be the "new" style? I haven't changed them since I bought the truck in 2002.

That's the "revised" style that most of the 400's got. The very first ones got bayonet style (1156 and 1157) bulbs like you saw earlier in this thread, still with a circuit board design that attaches to the housing in the same fashion.

There's some aftermarket tails that aren't OEM copies but do have somewhat of an OEM-ish appearance; they're not terribly ricey, and they have regular wired sockets that twist into the holes instead of a circuit board to fail. That would be an option for some people. The part # is Anzo 211140 and I believe there's a couple members here that have them on their trucks. I didn't care for how they looked with LED replacement bulbs so I ended up selling them, but they look fine with regular incandescents.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've had those Anzo 211140s on both of my '97s for quite a while now and I've been very happy with them. I took one set to a local body shop and had the red portion of the lenses lightly smoked to match the front corner markers on my red truck.

You must be registered for see images

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Two new things to share. The new tail lights came in, so I pulled the circuit board off the back of the assembly to see what it looks like.

So that's that. Installed, the new tail lights make the rest of the truck look like something that Jed Clampett would be driving.

Can't put the tailgate on just yet. The passenger side hinge is rotted away. Luckily, both the bed hinges and the tail gate hinges are available through various online vendors. Soon, very soon.

This isn't too bad, yet. It's still, however, getting replace as soon as I get new ones.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems I can only attach 5 pics per post. So, here's the second thing I was trying to show. I already knew that the drivers side floor pan needed attention. Since I'm waiting on a few last parts for everything behind the cab, I thought I'd tear out the interior and assess what I need to fix the floor.

Not so long ago, this would have been an intimidating repair. Now I can probably have it done in a weekend, as long as I have the parts I need. Speaking of, parts, I went ahead and found the floor pan at LMCtruck.com. I almost fell over and died when I saw the price of that floor pan :eek: It had better be worth it.

Oh, and PLEASE tell me that the range selector bracket is available somewhere. It looks like Hell.

Oh and here's a surprise. Did I mention that I found this beauty at the junkyard? I guess many people passed it up because it was covered in dog hair. All I saw was non-leather, color matching, and HEADRESTS! Also, being a cat owner my entire life, pet dander doesn't bother me. That doesn't I mean never pick a vacuum cleaner, though. My shop vac and a can of Turtle Wax upholstery shampoo made this seat look new again.