Has anyone tried to straighten an axle tube?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 800 burb was recently put in a ditch on the left side. Unfortunately the front of the frame is tweaked and it is just outside of being alignable.

The rear axle shaft is bent and the housing has a 2 degree upward bend between the wheel and the coil spring. I'm thinking about driving it up on my trailer, removing the wheel and chaining the housing right behind the flange and jacking up right where I believe the bend is at.

I really don't want to send it down the insurance route because I know that it will be totalled. I'm wanting to patch it for as little as possible. I'm 99% certain that I have an axle shaft.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chevys are common and cheap enough that you shouldn't be trying to straighten it. Get a treasure yard axle and swap the whole assembly.
Honestly, I'm trying to just limp it along until we're done with another project. I need a 4x4 that can tow short distance (15 miles) and I'm looking at $4-500 that I'd rather keep with sweat equity.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's only going to be affected where the axle goes into the spider gear, so a bit of wear on the axle splines at worst and that will take a while so I don't think it will be an issue to you.