Replacing part of an axle tube.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How right you are.

I spent two days trying to get the right side ball joint to release, so I could change the CV axle. Rusted solid. Finally popped the stud out of the casting by using an air hammer and tapered bit on the top of the stud. The rest of the CV shaft swap was easy, except for getting the wheel off the hub/rotor. All four wheels were so rusted to the car that I needed an 8-pound sledge to knock 'em free. I was NOT happy about that. The aluminum wheels were covered in aluminum-powder that had corroded away from the main part of the wheel. Wheels have "CHINA" and the Ford Oval cast on the inside.

So, discovering that the rotors were trash, but the pads were only half worn-out, I cleaned the rust from the wheel mating surfaces, coated 'em with anti-seize, and put 'em back together using the shiity Ford lug-nuts that have a sheetmetal cover on them so they look like expensive lug nuts. Half the sheetmetal covers are gone.

I needed a slide-hammer, anger, and perspiration to get the drums off. No, the shoes had not worn into the drums. The wheel bearings had seized to the stub-axle. The wheel bearing on the right side was failing, apparently it was the cause of uneven tire wear. Car shook like it was having an 0rgasm at 70 mph. MUCH better now with a new tire and bearing. Not perfect, though, 'cause it still needs front rotors, and the other rear tire has mild uneven wear.

And we haven't even gotten to the part where someone--NOT ME--is going to have to remove the piece-of-crap plastic intake manifold to fix the four piece-of-crap plastic flapper-valves Ford recklessly crammed into the air passageways. I thought GM was on dope, casting non-moving iron ski-jumps into the ports on the TBI small-blocks, and Vortec 454s. I have a whole new attitude now that I've see how Fookhead Ford induces turbulence. I've watched some Youtube videos on the intake manifold flapper valves, and I'm gonna tell these folks that they can take THAT somewhere else. Plastic bushings, plastic flapper housings, plastic flappers, plastic actuator, and a dead-soft-steel shaft that the plastic bushings wear grooves into.

Ford couldn't make a decent oil pan drain plug in the '60s, '70s, and '80s. They couldn't make decent spark plugs in the '80s, '90s and '00s; why would anyone think they can build a decent economy car?

Varies by store, perhaps by store manager or store owner.

O'Reillys has a well-stocked loaner-tool program I really like, and lower prices than NAPA. I got hooked into NAPA because they had business hours that met my needs decades ago. Open early, open late, open Sunday. And NAPA used to have top-quality parts. But now every parts chain gets their crap from the same Chinese shipping containers.

HOW are you bleeding the brakes? Vacuum? Pump-the-pedal?

I REFUSE to vacuum-bleed brakes, because the air never stops, especially on drum brakes.

I had to gravity-bleed the Focus, I don't have an adapter that would fit the molded-plastic remote fluid reservoir. But at least I got to eat a leisurely lunch and talk to my machinist buddy for the hour-and-a-half it took to change the fluid.
Glad we're on the same page.

How am I bleeding the brakes? The two man up-down method. Crack a bleeder, pedal down, seal the same bleeder, pedal up. Rinse, repeat, fill master cylinder reservoir as necessary. That method has worked for me for years now. Doesn't work so well when there's a leak that's not immediately detected, which was the case today.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, finally... the brakes still aren't quite right, but my goal for this weekend was to have the bed on the frame. No point in bickering over a semi-soft brake pedal if the damn truck isn't going anywhere in the immediate future.

You must be registered for see images attach

That wasn't so hard. Yeah, that's my Dad peeking over the corner of the bed. We got the bed to the point where it was easier to just take the tires off, and it slid right on. I did, however, tear up the plastic bumper cover during my impatience.

Here's a few other details. It seems that the exhaust pipe was hitting one of the cross frame pieces on the underside of the bed. Not by much, but it was. Upon investigation, it seems that the exhaust mounts are not even close to being correct. This is one that some previous owner sometime in the past had jimmy rigged. I looked up an exhaust diagram and it's not even supposed to be there.

Also, this POS is getting replaced (the exhaust hanger, not the leaf spring). I didn't think the exhaust would even be a problem, that is, until we put the bed on and saw all this nonsense.

Lastly, upon further inspection of the tail lights, both assemblies are garbage. Both tail lights, brand new with sockets and bulbs, are available from Rock Auto so I bit the bullet on those. I would have gotten new tail gate hinges, as well, but it's time to let my credit card cool off for a while.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap! I haven't seen an old-design set of circuit boards since the ones on my '88 went bad twenty years ago. That's probably the last set on Earth that were still installed on a licensed vehicle.

You can buy Genuine GM circuit boards, or Communist Crap circuit boards, but whichever ones you buy...you'll need to buy 'em again in six or ten years.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats the early design! You don't see those much. I had a set on my truck for awhile that I got someplace. They didn't work any better than the later design that was failing me.
Holy crap! I haven't seen an old-design set of circuit boards since the ones on my '88 went bad twenty years ago. That's probably the last set on Earth that were still installed on a licensed vehicle.

You can buy Genuine GM circuit boards, or Communist Crap circuit boards, but whichever ones you buy...you'll need to buy 'em again in six or ten years.

Ah, bummer, too bad both sides were rusted junk. Ya know, I'm damn handy with a soldering iron. I could easily fix any continuity breaks, but to what end? I'm glad you all got some eye candy out of the deal, but new ones are on the way.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Not true outside the rust belt. I don't even know which ones either truck has, stuff just keeps on working. My 88 from MI? Different story.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can anyone clearly define where exactly the "Rust Belt" is? I'm in NEPA and there's certainly no shortage of iron oxide in these parts. But now I see MI as part of the "Rust Belt".

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can anyone clearly define where exactly the "Rust Belt" is? I'm in NEPA and there's certainly no shortage of iron oxide in these parts. But now I see MI as part of the "Rust Belt".

Yes, MI is part of the rust belt. It may well be the equator of the rust belt. Nothing new.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Not true outside the rust belt. I don't even know which ones either truck has, stuff just keeps on working. My 88 from MI? Different story.

I've never associated the circuit boards going bad with the rust belt. The original design maybe, since they look to be steel, but maybe they're actually corroded copper? The second design that everyone knows don't really rust, though. I always thought maybe it was heat related, unless maybe the heat is generated from corrosion induced resistance?