Replacement Key Fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
FWIW, this original fob for my '97 K1500 Suburban is a little different. The Panic button is absent, and instead there's a "Rear 2X" button on the other side that locks/unlocks just the rear barn doors. I seem to remember that one of them also had the panic button, but it's been many years since the factory keyless was operational and I can't seem to find that fob. I imagine the "Rear 2X" button was probably for barn door trucks only.

You must be registered for see images attach

Interesting info, as mine was a '97 with barn doors as well. Of course there's no telling if the remote that came with the truck was original, as I wasn't the original owner.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That one I posted pics of is definitely original to my 'burb. The truck's been in the family since new, and that fob has been chilling in my desk drawer for the past 15 years or so. :biggrin:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@someotherguy Random thought... Was this Suburban the one you bought that was LS swapped? Reason I ask is those fobs you posted look a lot like my dad's '06 GMT800 fobs...

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's my 95 K2500, the square, about 6 - 8 years ago i got two new 3 button remotes for the tahoe, lock, unlock, 2xrear. But at that time the square was NLA.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
@someotherguy Random thought... Was this Suburban the one you bought that was LS swapped? Reason I ask is those fobs you posted look a lot like my dad's '06 GMT800 fobs...
Yep, but I don't imagine they would have swapped out the keyless entry unit? The harness on that truck was so incredibly hacked; they married the existing harness and the one from the donor car. I don't think they went under the dash. Those remotes are indeed similar to the ones for our '06's but not the same, though I haven't dug them out to see if the #'s are similar. Haven't used those remotes in years (both trucks have Vipers now, as well as some other tricks.)

My gmt-400 96 uses the old style transmitter
Same style my '95 Impala SS had, too, though I suppose it had a trunk button added.

Richard

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FWIW, this original fob for my '97 K1500 Suburban is a little different. The Panic button is absent, and instead there's a "Rear 2X" button on the other side that locks/unlocks just the rear barn doors. I seem to remember that one of them also had the panic button, but it's been many years since the factory keyless was operational and I can't seem to find that fob. I imagine the "Rear 2X" button was probably for barn door trucks only.

Correct about bar door-that's what I have for my 99 Tahoe

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
transmitters are based on the technololgy of the receiver units and those are OFTEN model year. at worst, vin breakpoint based, but with time they became more consistent in how applied. in the early 90s more than 3 at least possibly more companies supplied gM with moduels for cars and the transmitters were locked to the design technology, FCC ID would help id that MOSTLY. But Its not a cut and dry thing unfortunately to use FCC iD but its 95% likely to get the rigtht one

If you get the right one, its about the procedure and im not sure on that for your truck.

But if you had a fob already to go off for FCC #, thats the more than likely best bet, but I think you said you didnt.
in 1996 (cars) GM debuted the new remote keyless entry system which I believe delphi was the creator, as they were doing with other things like the AD series alternator, expanding electrical components etc while branching out, and they did that for few reasons and 1 of them is costs 2nd is integration. Integration with antitheft or other functions of the cars systems and trucks were helpful. Thats when FCC # is usually also needing to be crossed by model year model often, but not always again. because the programming for a 1997 buick park avenue remote is more integral than a 1999 oldsmobile aurora but they both use those newer type transmitters but they do not match. The Remote Keyless Entry module or Remote Door Lock Receiver are two of the newer names of these. But the Body control module and the Dash Integration Module are other names of the other cars GM has made thatr have at some point been responsible for unlock or lock or pop open hatch etc etc. panic is the funnest one. Press once to turn offf, press frantically 30 times and the others trying to get it to turn off :) at 2am in walmart parking lot when your horn sounds like dying geese

anyway, the truck system i have no idea but the 94-95 is probably the same or similar too a 96 but the ALDL pinout is different in an OBD1.5 pinout than ALDL or even obd2 which is shaped the same. I beleive the ALDL/OBD2 port is going to be where you need to jumper something and press buttons in a remote that works and it should have a door lock integrated into that procedure where you need to press them or something and then also should have a feedback process that translates to your success or chosen option.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Those fobs have the flat watch battery in them; had to replace them in our fobs. A dime or thin screwdriver will open it up, just be gentle with it. IIRC the battery is a#2093 or something like that. Pretty common size, just look at the battery display at your local store.