Replaced Quick Connect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have hose barbs on all 4 of my Vortecs. One has been on there for ~100k miles without problems. Never thought about flow issues. I would recommend the brass barb--hypothetically it'll take longer before it corrodes.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have hose barbs on all 4 of my Vortecs. One has been on there for ~100k miles without problems. Never thought about flow issues. I would recommend the brass barb--hypothetically it'll take longer before it corrodes.

I've got two types of brass connectors. One is a GM part that I believe is made for the bypass on the pump. It's got a single bump on the end to catch the clamp. It was ordered from the dealer and was more expensive than the OEM quick connect from the dealer. The other was added a few years ago, and was purchased at Fastenall, so it's an industrial part. It has multiple ribs that are sharper to catch hose. I've noticed that the industrial stuff usually carries a temperature limit that is right around the operating temperature of a cooling system. That seems kind of low for a metal, but I haven't had any issues. Our cooling systems run at a very low pressure compared to the typical ratings on the industrial barbs.

I've recently purchased another brass barb from Fastenall for the 5/8" heater return hose. I'm going to move the hose from the radiator tank to the pump.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, the only way you can get cavitation is when you're sucking air.
Nope. The water pump creates a pressure drop on the inlet side, and if it's enough of a pressure drop the coolant boils. Cavitation. I've seen the coolant temp on my RX-7 spike when the tach passed 9,000 rpm. My engine wasn't sucking air, it was sucking boiling coolant.

https://www.pumpfundamentals.com/centrifugal-pump-tips.htm
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/centrifugal-pumps

"Centrifugal pumps rely upon fluid acceleration within the pump head to create pressure differential and thus product flow."

Pascal's Law is certainly true - in a STATIC system, but that pressure equilibrium doesn't happen instantly.

I do agree that the power steering analogy is wrong in that the power steering pump is a positive displacement pump, but believing a centrifugal pump doesn't create pressure is a mistake.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Positive displacement...centrifugal...liquid...gas...power steering...air conditioning...coolant...IT DOESN'T MATTER.

In a system with fluid flow, restrictions to flow will drop pressure.

Pascal's law does not apply in this situation.
Pascal's principle is defined as

A change in pressure at any point in an enclosed fluid at rest is transmitted undiminished to all points in the fluid.
What we've been talking about all along is a fluid in motion, NOT A FLUID AT REST.

For the record, ultrasonic cleaners work by exciting a liquid (often hot water with some detergent) so that it scrubs against the submerged object to be cleaned. The method of "scrubbing" is cavitation. No "air" needed.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The water pump creates a pressure drop on the inlet side, and if it's enough of a pressure drop the coolant boils. Cavitation. I've seen the coolant temp on my RX-7 spike when the tach passed 9,000 rpm.
It's not that you're creating a pressure drop, or cavitation when you're spinning the pump that fast, it is bypassing internally creating heat due to restriction downstream. Keep in mind these centrifugal pumps are about the least efficient design of a pump.

Pascal's law does not apply in this situation.
What we've been talking about all along is a fluid in motion, NOT A FLUID AT REST.
It still does apply, you just have to include friction loss in the equation, which has too many variables to consider to make it an axiom.

We're really not getting anywhere with this and the other parallel discussion so, let's just move on, cheers!:cheers: