Replaced Quick Connect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1992 SCLB, 5.7 During my intake manifold gasket replacement project. The quick disconnect broke off. I replaced the quick connect fitting with a straight 3/4 in hose nipple.

My question is: The replacement heater hose is not formed. It is looped from the manifold to the heater core inlet. As a result, the new hose is higher than the inlet on the coolant recovery tank.

Will that create a problem with the recovery tank working correctly or cause an air pocket?

I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

Andrews98

Reaction score
Howdy,
It shouldn't having any bearing on how the recovery tank works, if I am understanding you correctly. As long as there isn't currently any air in the system, and provided the coolant level stays where it should in the recovery tank, you should be fine. Any air that is in the system is forced out into the recovery tank. If you're unsure you can take the radiator cap off (when cold of course) add coolant until its 13mm or 1/2" from the filler neck. Start it up, when the thermostat opens and if you see the coolant level drop in the radiator, fill it back up to where you did prior. Put the cap back on and ensure that coolant level in the recovery tank is where it should be. If all is good and no leaks, then you're good. Hope this helps.

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback - I will be finishing up the job tomorrow. I'll just have to try it and see what happens. My concern was/is that with the new heater hose being higher than the top of the radiator and bottom of the recovery tank inlet, that it may not "burp" the air out.

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback - I will be finishing up the job tomorrow. I'll just have to try it and see what happens. My concern was/is that with the new heater hose being higher than the top of the radiator and bottom of the recovery tank inlet, that it may not "burp" the air out.
1992 SCLB, 5.7 During my intake manifold gasket replacement project. The quick disconnect broke off. I replaced the quick connect fitting with a straight 3/4 in hose nipple.

My question is: The replacement heater hose is not formed. It is looped from the manifold to the heater core inlet. As a result, the new hose is higher than the inlet on the coolant recovery tank.

Will that create a problem with the recovery tank working correctly or cause an air pocket?

I hope this makes sense.

Project complete - truck runs great. As usual, I may have worried about nothing.

Andrews98

Reaction score
Yeah, I certainly agree with you on the thought of trying to keep the air out of the system. I know other folks could say that you could get trapped air in there somewhere, and they may be right. My thought is that since the coolant is under pressure while it is circulating, it should "theoretically" move the air to where it can escape whether a low or high point. An option could be that if you connect the firewall connection first, hold the hose vertically and add some coolant until it comes to the top of the hose. Once the hose is full, plug it with your thumb/finger and then quickly push it on to the fitting on the engine side. If there were any air to get in, it would be minimal and would probably not have any negative impact.

-Andrew

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the quick connect fitting with a straight 3/4 in hose nipple.
You can pretty-much expect to explode the heater core the first time you spin the engine to the upper end of the RPM range.

The quick-connect fitting is restricted to less than a 1/4" diameter, to minimize the pressure/volume delivered to the heater core. Your 3/4" hose nipple will have enormously more flow area.

Considering the Dorman replacement quick-connect is cheap and more durable than the GM original part, it's crazy to not keep the quick connector.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I disagree. I've used a brass barb for years. I have had cores leak, but I've also got close to 300k miles and a cooling system with air intrusion.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree or don't disagree. GM engineers made a special point of restricting the heater core supply. Spent extra money to do it.

GM is not known for spending money on un-needed features.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Disagree or don't disagree. GM engineers made a special point of restricting the heater core supply. Spent extra money to do it.

GM is not known for spending money on un-needed features.

They made a special point of making something that was quick to assemble on the line.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
If this is the same fitting that is on the vortec engines, I have removed every one of them I have worked on and put straight fittings. My heater core may start leaking any day, but I put one on my truck about 4 or 5 years ago, about 40k miles ago with no trouble so far.