Replace 95-99 Suburban rear side windows with utility tilt ups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gndd1997

Reaction score
Has anyone out there replaced their rear side windows on a 95-99 Suburban with utility tilt up flaps/doors? If so, any tips, tricks, recommendations? Thanks in advance!

gndd1997

Reaction score
Like contractor "windoors" on utility bodies or the solid (no window) tilt ups on a camper shell...I do a lot of camping/hunting and competition shooting so getting to all the gear in the back with the tailgate rear hatch or thru the rear doors is a real pain, more literally now since I had emergency back surgery in January (4 fused lumbar, L1 thru L4, for anyone who is interested)

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah I get what ur thinking of. I havent seen anything like that but kinda funny cuz just last week I was thinking itd be nice if they popped open similar to expedition windows or even power up an down.

Probably could make a flip up window but the hinges I would imagine would be the hard part. Then some type of locking mechanism at the bottom.

gndd1997

Reaction score
Ah I get what ur thinking of. I havent seen anything like that but kinda funny cuz just last week I was thinking itd be nice if they popped open similar to expedition windows or even power up an down.

Probably could make a flip up window but the hinges I would imagine would be the hard part. Then some type of locking mechanism at the bottom.
Ya, I've been scratching my head over the hinge dilemma, but I figured the locks would be camper "T" handles or just good old fashioned pad locks...the more I look at the existing window openings the more I'm doubting this would work with any commercially available hardware (which was my original goal)...I have my hope's set on someone out there having done something similar to what I envisioned so I can learn from their mistakes and not my own!! I'm surprised there isn't more info out on the interwebs about this kind of conversion since a lot of this model of Suburban was used as ambulance, emergency, fire and forestry service vehicles, but I guess they either modified them in house or shopped the work out...well, if I go the custom route I'll definitely post my progress here in the forum!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Ya, I've been scratching my head over the hinge dilemma, but I figured the locks would be camper "T" handles or just good old fashioned pad locks...the more I look at the existing window openings the more I'm doubting this would work with any commercially available hardware (which was my original goal)...I have my hope's set on someone out there having done something similar to what I envisioned so I can learn from their mistakes and not my own!! I'm surprised there isn't more info out on the interwebs about this kind of conversion since a lot of this model of Suburban was used as ambulance, emergency, fire and forestry service vehicles, but I guess they either modified them in house or shopped the work out...well, if I go the custom route I'll definitely post my progress here in the forum!
There was a company back in the day that did a power slider side window for the square body Burbs. I saw a few of them and it looked really good, but IIRC Dad investigated it with some accessory dealers in Houston and it was pretty pricey. He wanted to do something similar to your idea for accessibility concerns. Sometimes when we parked the Burb it would be hard to open the tailgate or the barn doors. (We had several square body Burbs). Probably one of the issues with these trucks is the glass being glued in instead of in a rubber molding.