Redhead steering box - disappointed so far

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Near the end of last year I rebuilt the front end on my truck - all new steering gear and ball joints - along with a new steering box from Redhead Steering Gears. My truck is not a daily driver, so probably around around 1500 miles driven in a year.

Within 10 miles the new steering box became loose, with probably 1.5 inches of play on center measured on the steering wheel. I contacted the company and they shipped a replacement. The second new box now has the same play on center after less than 200 miles. The truck , a 1994 K1500 RCSB, is dead stock with 265/70/16 tires, and every piece of the steering is brand new, torqued to spec. I've rechecked for slack in every other part of the steering gear and the problem is entirely the steering box.

I'm sure they would send me another replacement, but I'm losing confidence at this point. I also hate the prospect of R&R for another time. I'm also tempted to adjust the box, though this would void the warranty.

Has anyone else had this issue with Redhead?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I have a redhead quick-ratio in my truck and have not had this problem yet, around 3000-5000 miles later.

I'd send it back again or contact them at least before you adjust it

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you Replace your rag joint too?
I've got the jeep steering shaft installed, so no soft points in the connection.
I have a redhead quick-ratio in my truck and have not had this problem yet, around 3000-5000 miles later.

I'd send it back again or contact them at least before you adjust it
Mine is the quick ratio as well. My brain knows that I should just send it back, get a warranty replacement, and try again, but I'm getting sick of the issue . I was (still am) hoping someone would point out something stupid that I missed. ;)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've got the jeep steering shaft installed, so no soft points in the connection.
While the problem is likely in the box, don't overlook that there is indeed a "soft" point in that Jeep shaft - it's got a chunk of rubber in the upper end that acts as a dampener. It went bad on the one I had in my truck.

Richard

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the problem is likely in the box, don't overlook that there is indeed a "soft" point in that Jeep shaft - it's got a chunk of rubber in the upper end that acts as a dampener. It went bad on the one I had in my truck.

Richard
Good point and something to consider. One difference with mine is that I used a shaft from a Grand Cherokee and modified the existing shaft to make it work there aren't any soft point that I know of, but I should double check.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question - can a weak or failing power steering unit cause this issue?

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was (still am) hoping someone would point out something stupid that I missed. ;)
"Adjusting" the box is done in TWO places. There's an easy-to-get-to screw and jam nut on top. That's the only adjustment most folks know about.

There's also an adjustment at the input shaft. It's much harder to do. Everyone forgets that that one exists.

Once the adjustments are made, the only way they go out-of-adjustment is if the adjustment lock wasn't properly secured; or if the box is failing internally.

"I" would send it back...again.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just my own observations here from disassembling and building a few boxes over the years:
1) the quick ratio boxes I have taken apart, the gears seem to be noticeably more shined up that other boxes. The machined in grooves in the gears take up play. Shiny gears = play. Not dangerous play at all, just annoying. Shurkey is absolutely right about the adjustments. And then some. Anyone who attempts to adjust a saginaw gear box on the vehicle is asking for trouble. It cannot be done correctly with the gear box in the vehicle. Inch-pound beam torque wrench is a must.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Send it back and have them inspect it. If it checks out on their end then you mut have something else going on