Rear tires locking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i have a 14b semi float rear end in my 96 k2500hd and mostly when i start the truck up and take off and go to hit the brakes at the first stop sign or move in the driveway the truck will shake and rattle and then stop which im pretty sure is a warped front rotor on the driver side front but this has been going in for a while, But then Randomly one day it was raining and i was going to look at a car i was coming up to a stop sign and a semi truck was turning in so i knew i would have to leave it some room to turn i tried to stop and the rear tires locked and it felt like i had no breaks and i just slid, i came probably 5 foot from hitting the trucks trailer and had to backup to get out of his way and now when taking sharp left turns the rear tire locks im not sure if it just does it in the rain or not but it done it was raining today and its the first time it started locking on turns and when hitting the breaks when turning into a parking lot. What could be causing this? I’m pretty sure the truck has a g80 its in the rpo codes and I believe the axle is original.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a wild guess here, but it sounds like you need new brakes on all 4 corners. I don't think the problem is the g80.

LOL

Check the rear axle seals while your in there.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm with Hipster. 98 K1500 (220k+) was locking up at low speed mostly in reverse. Had rear end (g80) rebuilt (it was due). Problem continued. Finally found issue online. I think it was from this forum.
Complete rear brake job, EVERYTHING new from drums to backing plates, should do the trick for the locking up.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rear abs in these trucks is horrible. I constantly struggled to keep my rear brakes adjusted perfectly on my '99 k2500. Stock, unless working perfectly, they are an accident waiting to happen.

I switched mine to rear discs, added an adjustable prop valve and eliminated abs - now it is reliable. It was a fair amount of work and money though.

At the very least - I would remove the abs fuse and focus on getting the rear brakes adjusted.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So i have a 14b semi float rear end in my 96 k2500hd.

Why do you have a semi-floating axle in that truck?..... the heavy 3/4's usually have a 10.5" full floater.

If your brakes are "locking" but you're not stopping, I'd assume you have worn metal to metal and or contamination from brake fluid and/or gear oil.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a wild guess here, but it sounds like you need new brakes on all 4 corners. I don't think the problem is the g80.

LOL

Check the rear axle seals while your in there.
I was just stating that it had the g80 just to give a little info in case it was needed. I replaced the front brakes a couple months ago, have the rears just never put them on. I’m about positive the front rotor is warped because i had a locked up caliper on it for a while that got super super hot.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rear abs in these trucks is horrible. I constantly struggled to keep my rear brakes adjusted perfectly on my '99 k2500. Stock, unless working perfectly, they are an accident waiting to happen.

I switched mine to rear discs, added an adjustable prop valve and eliminated abs - now it is reliable. It was a fair amount of work and money though.

At the very least - I would remove the abs fuse and focus on getting the rear brakes adjusted.
Thats what i have been contemplating because i hate the abs.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why do you have a semi-floating axle in that truck?..... the heavy 3/4's usually have a 10.5" full floater.

If your brakes are "locking" but you're not stopping, I'd assume you have worn metal to metal and or contamination from brake fluid and/or gear oil.
I have no idea, i really wish it was the full floater. I’m probably gonna try to get my hands on one and swap it in before too long. Also the breaks only locked that one time and never stopped, normally it always stops it might’ve just been the rain that day.