Rear tires locking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled my drum to inspect to see if i screwed anything up, and saw the lever that connects to the cable was pulled a little even though my pedal was released checked the other side and it was sitting where it was supposed to. I pryed the lever back and it worked as it should until i set the e brake again. Replace the cable now works flawlessly.
I will look into this. Thank you for the info!

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once your drums are removed, you gently pulled back on each side of the wheel cylinder boot, one side at a time and check for fluid seepage and wetness. If you find it your wheel cylinders need to be replaced, unless you want to rebuild them, but you are better off replacing them with new hardware.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s exactly what happens, i will crack the drums open and inspect everything when i get a chance. My 83 year old grandmother is in hospice with pneumonia and not doing well. I do have one question though, I’ve never been inside of a drum before. Is there anything important i need to know?

I've not had the drums off my truck yet but done plenty others.
The two areas that can cause difficulty are if it has seized onto the hub and if the rubbing surfaces have worn into a groove which traps the shoe and makes removal of the drum difficult.

In the first case, (releasant/penetrant first) then try breaking the grip with careful (don't break it!) hammering on the drum to shock it free.

In the second, wind in the adjustor (if manual) and make sure park brake is fully released - then tap with hammer from behind to ease the drum over the shoes. Often you'll feel the shoes moving on their springs as the drum comes off. Extreme cases sometimes require more brutality with an acceptance that the shoes will be damaged. You never really know until you get there - somewhere between just popping off and a complete PITA!

How can you check to see if its the cylinder?

This is answered in an other's post. Even before peeling back the seals, if there's a leak it will be all wet and darker in colour around the cylinder where it contacts the shoe - and the linings will be the same.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive had your problem as well with my gasser 95. My issue was a leaking wheel seal causing everything to get gummed up. Mine was just one side that would act up. Just another thing to look for.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never been inside of a drum before. Is there anything important i need to know
Only take apart one side at a time so you can reference the other side to see what you're putting back together wrong. I broke one of my brake springs putting it back in the wrong place, and I've done plenty of drum brakes before.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My brake shoes were disintegrating in the back and my tahoe locked like yours. I believe that might have been a bit of a brake shoe that got wedged between the drum and the rest of the shoe. I'm not saying it's 100% the cause but start with checkin your breake shoes condition. Mine were rivets type and were just chipping bit by bit.