98 tahoe right rear tires locked up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Natedawwg

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 tshoe 2 door no probs untill the snow hit and when reversing and driving forward the right rear tire locks up i pulled the tire and drum nothing looked out of place or broken could the rear end be going out?

Natedawwg

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i pulled it off nothing was wet from diff fluid or brake fluid little wet from snow. When i jacked it up and pulled drum to inspect nothing was out of place and i put it back on put it in drive while jacked up still it was spinning. Then dropped it then took off then it did it again after about 10 feet going straight forward seems like reverse does it more but i cant seem to 100% find a cause. But everything looked fine in the drum hardware and all nothing loose the parking brake looked fine

Natedawwg

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
its almost seems random. I sat in the truck after it locked up put it in park then waited a cple mins put it in drive then it was fine. i then drove it about 10 miles 0 problems i tried recreating what made it happen in the 1st reversing and turning right at the same time/ going forward and turning right and nothing

Natedawwg

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
But the driver side tire kept spinning. Its a sport 2 door and rpo code its got the hauling, z71 and lsd rpo codes

Natedawwg

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any i havent done it yet got dark too quickly. but wouldnt you think its something with the brakes because if a chunk is floating around some were youd think it lock up more or explode. I did have basicly the identical truck but with a 342 2 door everything and when that rear end blew the locker exploded and it was still driving then something caught up then booom shot out the diff cover. Im just throwing this out there as an example. And i put it in 4hi just gunned it it moves just not the pass side rear tire no weird noises or anything no clunks or wine from rear end when i did that also.