Rawhide and The Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well well well....time for more updates!
Finally got the oil and filter changed in Rawhide! The last time I changed them was on February 6, 2023.....kept trying to get to it, and it kept raining on my days off, or there were other things needing doing as well.
That old oil was black as the devil's 'hole....
I think I'm going to have to replace the belt tensioner this week. Something is making noise under the hood and it varies with the RPM. Hopefully it's that and not the alternator bearing. Or God forbid, the water pump. No leaks underneath so I am betting on the tensioner. Gotta put the stethoscope on it to narrow it down....
Got two new front tires on Rawhide (what Mom and I got each other for Valentine's lol). So we did not go to the Conroe swap meet that weekend, cause that was that budget gone! Found out that it was crappy weather and I prolly wouldn't have made any money, had we gone. We'll see how the traders village swap meet in NW Houston this weekend is.
Replaced the PCV valve last month on Rawhide, and it helped with the idle which is still sometimes rough. I think I need to replace the plug wires and route them properly with extra separators, and that should take care of that issue. Remember most of what I've replaced on the big truck is original parts....
Burb is unfortunately still stuck in front of our trailer, waiting for me to be able to get under him and see what the problem is. Hoping it's just the filter gasket; read reports from several of the square body guys that had that happen on their trucks.

Attachments

• IMG_20240214_121554732_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240214_121554732_HDR.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240214_175919101_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240214_175919101_HDR.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 4

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to replace the belt tensioner this week. Something is making noise under the hood and it varies with the RPM. Hopefully it's that and not the alternator bearing. Or God forbid, the water pump.

I've never associated a noise with a water pump. On my truck it's always been a seal, and on my Buick it's been the bearing.

Don't forget you've got an idler pulley, too. That was the noise source on my truck, when I assumed alternator and bought one.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I've never associated a noise with a water pump. On my truck it's always been a seal, and on my Buick it's been the bearing.

Don't forget you've got an idler pulley, too. That was the noise source on my truck, when I assumed alternator and bought one.
Idler pulley was replaced in December (just before Christmas) when it locked up and took out the belt. Didn't have funds then to buy the tensioner too, and it was behaving then.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would for sure grab a ratchet and take the belt off, then slowly spin each component by itself before replacing any parts. The noises from mine were the alternator. It was fairly new and never caused problems, just noisy.