Rant: don't buy Stanley tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Mastercraft Maximum ( and all except the real el-cheapo hand tools ) were made by Stanley for Canadian Tire Corporation, at least back in the day when I worked there.

Gray tools when i worked there as a pup. That predates their "maximum" line....:rolleyes:

K1500 gramnolds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother has a Stanley ratchet set that I don`t much care for. As previously said, I don`t like how it feels and seems kinda cheesy. Granted, the cobbled together set of tools I have is far from optimal and has a wrench or socket or extension from every brand under the sun. Strangely enough I`ve had luck in the past with some cheap tool sets purchased at yard sales. Random no name sets you think would be really crappy, but have lasted a long time. If I had it my way tho, I`d go SNAP ON all the way... Just my $.02

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I refuse to buy stanley, any tool that can be procured at walmart is junk IMO, all of my tools are craftsman except for a few odd sockets that were given to me by friends for doing random jobs for them, had my craftsman set for close to 10 years now with no issues and they have seen some hard use, hell my 3/8" rachet has been used to remove suspension components a few times

Hunttman01

resident sh't starter
Reaction score
I love my MAC tools so far. Plus a rep comes to the school weekly amd he takes care of it

sent from my 350 powered s3 via tapa (free) now Free

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
So, since we've been talking about tools, on to some pics of what I like and don't like (tools, gentlemen, get your minds outta the gutter...)

Junk:
You must be registered for see images attach

Broken Stanley 1/2 inch compared to a Powerfist from Princess Auto that for $20, has served me extremely well. It actually feels surprisingly well made and I haven't managed to break one yet:

One of my favourites except it isn't quick release. Broke it once but it was with substantial effort...and was fixed for free in about 5 minutes at Canadian Tire. Mastercraft of course:

As for wrenches, I only really use the stanley where I need to get into a tight space. Again the mastercraft maximum is by far my favourite here, I do not care for the feel of the craftsman at all. The husky is pretty much just a spare, although they feel nice in the hand. Threw an 11/16 Snap on in the pic just for fun

The craftsman is thicker than the others, and on occasion can be difficult to get into certain spots. The stanley is the thinnest.
Top to bottom, Mastercraft, Stanley, Craftsman, Husky

I love my Maximum gear wrenches. Very, very well built:

I don't care for the markings on the stanley sockets. That printing or whatever you want to call it rubs off over time:

However, the old school stanley screwdrivers are the best I own. Compared to a flimsy new mastercraft:

I know you aren't SUPPOSED to hammer on screwdrivers. But this is what happens when you do on one with a cheapo plastic handle:

I've got a few other ratchets and wrenches I use on occasion, but those are my bread and butter type stuff.

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
I work at HF and their tools (Pittsburgh is usually the brand) arent too bad and if you break it they really do mean lifetime warranty. Example, runner mallet used ti the point the rubber was chipping and gouged and replaced no questions asked. Same for almost all the tools there. Never used many Stanley tools

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Hum. Interesting. For shiggles I called stanley again thinking I'd cause more of a stink. Why? I dunno. Bored.

Turned out I didn't have to. The first lady I talked to (at the same number) just took my name, address and part number and says a new 1/2" drive ratchet is on it's way. Go figure?!

The number I called (for Canada) was 1-800-263-6292. I'm not expecting a ratchet of any higher quality and still won't recommend their tools, but hey, something is better than nothing.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Had my stanley wrenches, ratchets sockets etc. for over 2 years now. never had a problem. only thing that sucks about mine was the package thing they came in. like you said took a pry bar to get em out. i put em in my truck tool box in a storage thing from the 90s or whatever. its like a metal rail and it works amazing. theyve done almost all the work ive done to my truck except stuff they cant be used for like hammering :rofl: although i have used em for that. mine do sometimes have the tendency to switch from R-L but thats usually when im handling it near the top to hold a bolt in. only thing i wish theyd done was for the ratchets to be A LOT longer. instead of stubby things. cant get **** worth of leverage

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Had my stanley wrenches, ratchets sockets etc. for over 2 years now. never had a problem. only thing that sucks about mine was the package thing they came in. like you said took a pry bar to get em out. i put em in my truck tool box in a storage thing from the 90s or whatever. its like a metal rail and it works amazing. theyve done almost all the work ive done to my truck except stuff they cant be used for like hammering :rofl: although i have used em for that. mine do sometimes have the tendency to switch from R-L but thats usually when im handling it near the top to hold a bolt in. only thing i wish theyd done was for the ratchets to be A LOT longer. instead of stubby things. cant get **** worth of leverage

I don't mind that size in 3/8, it's a pretty common size. But the 1/2 was way too short IMO.