Rant: don't buy Stanley tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Ok, I need to vent. I'm a little bit upset with Stanley at the moment.

A year or more ago, I bought a set of Stanley sockets/ratchets/wrenches at Canadian Tire. It was a full set of 1/4" and 3/8" drive sockets and a kind of half complete set of 1/2" drive sockets (I only realized once I bought it that it skipped a couple sockets and had no deep 1/2" drive sockets, which admittedly was my own fault for not paying close enough attention but still...). Also had a few common size standard wrenches I rarely use.

Ok, first thing that annoys me is the staff at Canadian Tire. This has nothing to do with Stanley, but the staff at the time of purchase assured me that the "lifetime warranty" advertised in great big bold capital letters on the set would be honoured by Canadian Tire. Ok. Cool.

So, get home, open up the box, which I immediately ditch because you need a prybar to get a socket out of it's holder...not that I care anyways, I have tool storage. Anyhow, 3/8" drive ratchet does not work right from the get go. Ok, no problem, go back to Canadian Tire. "Nope, you have to send that back to the company". Huh? You said you'd replace it. Speak to the store manager. "Nope, you have to send that back to the company". Arrrrg. Ok, call up Stanley and they're great about it. Talked to a service rep or whatever right away, no questions asked they send me a new ratchet in the mail. Ok, so it takes about 2 weeks to get here...not the end of the world, but now for the most part I rely on my Mastercraft tools as I actually CAN take them back to the store to get new ones if they brake and not be without tools for a long period of time.

Now that time has gone on, some of my Mastercraft tools have disappeared, been borrowed and "forgotten", what have you. So, the Stanley stuff is socket by socket and ratchet by ratchet making it to the front of my toolbox as replacement stuff. Ok, now after a little use my 1/2" drive ratchet won't work and my 3/8" drive (which is essentially new), has an annoying tendency of switching direction by itself. A couple sockets busted, a wrench bent, pretty well due in my mind to poor quality. So I call up Stanley again. Under some kind of "new management". Took me forever to get through to an actual person, and now I have to ship my broken stuff to them, and they will fix it/send me a replacement at their discretion. All at my expense. Which would cost more than the tools are worth. Spoke to manager, nothing he can do to help me. I told him they'd never see another dime out of me and hung the phone up, no way I'm spending money on shipping out junk tools to receive more junk tools.

I'm really frustrated with this. You can't say you have a "lifetime warranty" if you're going to make it so difficult and expensive to get something replaced that it isn't worth doing. No, I'm not a mechanic by trade and no, these tools are not the only ones I own, but I'm still pissed.

End of rant.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I have a few Stanley tools and haven't had much issue. But I will say they are mostly just screwdrivers and things of that nature. I mostly always just buy my wrenches ratchets and things like that at harbor freight, yeah they are cheap but haven't let me down very often for the minor at home wrenching I do. And they are cheap enough if I break something I'll just buy a new one and call it good. Sucks about all the trouble your going through on warranty though, but that's usually how it goes with cheaper tools that claim warranty. They make it so difficult to get replaced you just buy new instead.

Sent from DAS DOOLAY!!!

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
The only stanleys I will use is screwdrivers. Sockets and ratchets are not worth it.

sent from my Galaxy S4 Yo!

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Craftsman, SnapOn, and a hand full of Gear Wrench wrenches are what I have at my disposal. I think the only Stanley stuff is screwdrivers.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Snap on is nice, I have a couple wrenches and sockets and one 1/2" drive extension. Never been much of a craftsman fan. They don't feel very good in the hand IMO. I mostly have mastercraft.

Rest assured that when the last socket that bears the stanley name disappears from my toolbox, there won't be another.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Stanley stuff is MAC stuff. Never had a problem.

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as ratchets go, I have a snap-on 3/8 and a Williams 3/8. Then a craftsman professional 1/4. I like the snap-on the best. Just feels like I could put a pipe on it and not break it. I got it at a garage sale for $5 so can't complain. The Williams is just like a snap on (sold through mcmaster carr) and I like that one as well. The 1/4 craftsman is OK but just doesn't feel like I could put too much pressure on it but then again it's only 1/4. I have all craftsman sockets. Some harbor freight screw drivers. Then a set of gear wrench ratcheting wrenches. I love those. I will NEVER own or buy a regular craftsman ratchet ever again. Reason being is I've had 3 (yes 3) brake on me causing my knuckles to be broken (not really but you get the point)

But I returned the first one and got a "new" (refurbished) one and as soon as the lady handed it to me I felt the ratchet mechanism and told her I'd be back in 45 min to get a new one. Sure enough it broke same way. So I get another one, this one lasted slightly longer. But broke the same way. After this I demanded a new one off the shelf which they said OK. So I got a brand new one and got it home and used it for a month and broke it. Thats when I just gave up. They all broke by that lever you switch directions with snapped inside causing it to free spin. But while I was putting pressure on it so my hand got nailed in between the ratchet and the head of a bolt. I almost made my thumb nail fall off from the damn blood blister.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I could care less who makes it...as long as the tool works. Which clearly they haven't for me.

Like I said, I've never had a problem with it. But I haven't bought anything Stanley for probably 5 years. All of my stuff is older and works great. So who knows? :shrug:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Like I said, I've never had a problem with it. But I haven't bought anything Stanley for probably 5 years. All of my stuff is older and works great. So who knows? :shrug:

Hard to say. Like everything, quality has probably dropped with newer stuff.

Or, maybe I've just had bad luck. :shrug: