Rant: don't buy Stanley tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ditto to harbor freight at the rate I loose or have my stuff borrowed it's the only logical way to go however I can tell you that the harbor freight wrenches are not made to the same specs as higher end stuff and they will round off a really tight bolt if your not careful.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Like I said, I've never had a problem with it. But I haven't bought anything Stanley for probably 5 years. All of my stuff is older and works great. So who knows? :shrug:

Thats how mine are. I haven't bought them in 10yrs. The older stuff was great.

Sent from ®obland

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
We don't have harbour freight here but I've heard it's pretty cheapo. We do have princess auto that sells "powerfist" brand that is pretty flimsy stuff. I have a couple ratchets and some sockets that have held up so far, but I haven't owned them that long. I don't much care for the feel of them.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
We have Stanley screwdrivers. Rachets, sokets, wrenches, etc... are Craftsman (my dad's) and Husky (mine)

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just buy SK and Snap-On... Still break stuff all the time. My 1/2" drive Snap-On is like majorly fubar right now :bawl:

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
If i recall right the Mastercraft Maximum is either MAC or Snap On made...might be a different company though too... But right now my "Crash bag" is filled mostly with the "jobmate" branded wrenches, some Princess auto powerfist brand sockets, a double headed rachet that i picked up at Princess auto (3/8 one side and the other side is 1/4) That thing rocks..composite handle and as said double headed so i only need one ratchet for the job..if it ever breaks i will def be picking up another it has held up for a year so far and the same company makes a 3/8/1/2" version as well that i will def get eventually. I have some of the older Maximum brand tools that i picked up used from a buddy but ever since i put together my crash bag that case has simply sat in the back seat of Vegas never to be touched since lol...

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Most of my tools are mastercraft maximum. Seem okay.

My dad had it of blue-point and proto. Good .

Even my toolbox is maximum haha, most expensive one they made at the time. I love it.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
My Dad bought a newer stanley set and i don't think he has ever broke any sockets but his ratchet broke right off the bat... and personally i had a set of Stanley screwdrivers and i thought they were junk... All my ratchets are Matco and Craftsman. All of my 1/4 and 3/8 socket are craftsman and my 1/2" impact sockets came from harbor freight... no problems with them, and thats what i used everyday mechanicing.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I've got old Stanley Screwdrivers my family had before me, probably 20 years old. They are by far the best I've personally ever owned.

I will admit that I am pretty good at breaking tools. I broke a good quality slide hammer once...:rofl:

But, still, stuff like ratchets sockets and wrenches just have to hold up. I'm looking at a couple new Snap-on replacements right now. Nothing against the build quality of Mastercraft ratchets but I don't like the way they switch direction and feel. I really liked the feel of the stanley and the way it was set up for forward/reverse, but obviously it wasn't well made.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Mastercraft Maximum ( and all except the real el-cheapo hand tools ) were made by Stanley for Canadian Tire Corporation, at least back in the day when I worked there.