Radiator Upgrade - Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdc917

Reaction score
Those Liland units are hit or miss. They’re cheaply made, but some have good luck with them. Denso makes great radiators for a fair price. I also have had very good luck with Napa and carquest ones. You can get a nice carquest radiator for 25% off at advance with the coupon code. I run one in my Suburban, it’s well made and the truck honestly runs cooler than I’d like, even with a 195 stat.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Those Liland units are hit or miss. They’re cheaply made, but some have good luck with them. Denso makes great radiators for a fair price. I also have had very good luck with Napa and carquest ones. You can get a nice carquest radiator for 25% off at advance with the coupon code. I run one in my Suburban, it’s well made and the truck honestly runs cooler than I’d like, even with a 195 stat.

Where would you find a Denso radiator? I believe all their aftermarket radiators are made overseas by a subsidiary...Koyo. I was reading up on them several years ago, but it was an import forum. If I recall correctly they weren't the quality of the OEM Desno units going into new cars, but I don't recall any of it, for sure.

tdc917

Reaction score
Where would you find a Denso radiator? I believe all their aftermarket radiators are made overseas by a subsidiary...Koyo. I was reading up on them several years ago, but it was an import forum. If I recall correctly they weren't the quality of the OEM Desno units going into new cars, but I don't recall any of it, for sure.

I believe I’ve seen them on rock auto, but that was probably for a half ton. They may not make any for the 3/4 ton.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those Liland Globals seem suspiciously inexpensive for a custom fit all aluminum radiator... Who knows though, maybe they're decent.

Be Cool and Griffin Performance have a few really nice USA made options for these trucks, but they are really expensive. $6-900 depending on which model you're looking at.

Thanks, those Be Cools and Griffins look top notch. I'll have to twist my arm pretty hard to fork out that much. Cheers tho.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They're cheap with good reason. The tanks are very thin, the overflow port was a size smaller, the neck was slightly crooked, but the welds looked sufficient. I'd feel more confident in a plastic tank unit or spend the money on a more reputable AL maker.

Thanks for the heads up. What is the scoop on plastic vs. aluminum tanks? Obviously the alu. will be alot more durable etc, do the plastic tanks suffice?

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. What is the scope on plastic vs. aluminum tanks? Obviously the alu. will be alot more durable etc, do the plastic tanks suffice?

Plastic tanks have been used on pretty much every new vehicle, for quite a number of years now.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI the 1500 had the 28" or 34" option, 2500 came with a taller 34" radiator, and the 3500 came with a thicker version of the 2500 radiator. Just get a stock 3500 replacement and the fan shroud with upper radiator mounts to match.

I like your thinking! I've looking at this ACdelco one; https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=92494&cc=1159994&jsn=448
or this Spectra one; https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=271975

I'll check my shroud out over the weekend to see where the mounts are.

Anyone have a preference or experience with ACdelco vs. Spectra??

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The shrouds and mounts are absolutely different, check out the 1500 vs 3500 shots I took.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. What is the scoop on plastic vs. aluminum tanks? Obviously the alu. will be alot more durable etc, do the plastic tanks suffice?
There's nothing wrong with plastic. I think they can handle higher pressures than aluminum or copper tanks. Having an AL radiator is probably more of an old school mindset, and they look cool. In theory, a good AL unit should last the life of the vehicle because it is more likely to be repairable versus the inexpensive throw away plastic unit.
If I were to do it again, I'd go with the taller (19"?) 3 row plastic radiator from the 3500s. You would need to fab a new upper mount or salvage the shroud from a 3500, and make sure you get the short filler neck version.

Here's a good 3 part article about AL radiators and what to look out for in general: https://www.speedcooling.com/blog/copper-brass-radiators-versus-aluminum-radiators.html

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a 2002 Infinity Q45 and here in the heat, the plastic tank dried out and started cracking and leaking all over. Of course it had >200,000 miles on it at the time.