Radiator Upgrade - Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Needing some advice for a radiator replacement / upgrade. I will need something heavy duty as I am lugging a 9.5' camper around full-time on this truck.

The truck originally came with a heavy duty rad, V02 option (34 in core) with trans and oil coolers built in. The previous owner replaced it with a smaller unit (looks like a 28-1/4 in core size) which isn't doing the job as I am having overheating issues during the summer months.

I've been looking around RockAuto, does anyone have experience with Liland Global radiators?

I like that they are all aluminum construction and offer a 3 row core model. I don't mind investing in the best rad possible as I will be needing it with hauling the camper around.

Any help appreciated. Cheers!

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've been looking around RockAuto, does anyone have experience with Liland Global radiators?

I assume they're just an importer. I've wondered about their products too. When I've looked at radiators recently, it looks like most brands are trying to sell me 2-cores for my 454. If they offer a 3, that's decent quality, that would be great. Last time I bought one, I could still buy a US made Delphi, but they don't even have a thermal devision anymore.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those Liland Globals seem suspiciously inexpensive for a custom fit all aluminum radiator... Who knows though, maybe they're decent.

Be Cool and Griffin Performance have a few really nice USA made options for these trucks, but they are really expensive. $6-900 depending on which model you're looking at.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
They're cheap with good reason. The tanks are very thin, the overflow port was a size smaller, the neck was slightly crooked, but the welds looked sufficient. I'd feel more confident in a plastic tank unit or spend the money on a more reputable AL maker.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a Napa/Spectra one for my truck, just an OE style replacement with plastic tanks.
I was kicking myself for not going onto Rockauto because I saw those fully aluminum rads for close to what I paid; guess I dodged a bullet there.

I side with @df2x4, the BeCool and Griffin rads are pricey but are probably going to be your best bet for a solid product.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I assume they're just an importer. I've wondered about their products too. When I've looked at radiators recently, it looks like most brands are trying to sell me 2-cores for my 454. If they offer a 3, that's decent quality, that would be great. Last time I bought one, I could still buy a US made Delphi, but they don't even have a thermal devision anymore.

When my 96 K1500 original radiator sprung a leak last year, I had a 25% off coupon from Advance. The truck didn't have any overheating problems, but I bought the HD radiator with the core that is about 3/4"-1" thicker than my stock radiator. This one: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-radiator-438077/99982563-P?searchTerm=radiator. It works great. My cooling system is the least of my worries on that truck. It was a drop in fit.

I live and drive at altitude where the thinner air does not carry the heat away as effectively. Making a fast blast up the hill at 9000 ft in the summer with the AC on will quickly tell a guy how good his cooling system is.

Current radiators are much more efficient than they were in the past, and the old 2 core, 4 core, etc doesn't apply anymore.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
FYI the 1500 had the 28" or 34" option, 2500 came with a taller 34" radiator, and the 3500 came with a thicker version of the 2500 radiator. Just get a stock 3500 replacement and the fan shroud with upper radiator mounts to match.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed this one. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C7RZWC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read a lot of good user reviews and for its reasonable price went ahead and got it. Fits great, all the cooling lines match the oem rad.
Rad cools as well as old one so far, I did a bunch of other stuff at the same time including hoses, heater core, water pump and tstat. the new tstat opens a little later than my oem, and you can see the temp cycles (old set up came up to temp and just stayed put). I picked up a 185 degree stat too, will hang on to it until summer to see how it behaves in warmer temps.

Last edited: