Radiator for high HP application?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a C1500 and plans are to have a 496 big block with around 500 horse. Does any one have a suggestion as to what radiator to use from experience that will keep it cool? I see they sell 3 core aluminum ones on ebay, or would one out of a 3500 with a 454 be sufficient? Thanks

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I am swapping to the 454 radiator today actually. I don't put down any power though, stupid tbi :(. I just need a new radiator and was looking in the junk yard and just though, sure, don't see why I cant make this fit so I just took the upper mounts and radiator. I think you will be fine with the 454 radiator and a dual electric fan setup. I only have one e-fan with zero problems, but everyone said it wouldn't be enough air flow. lol its a tbi its not making much heat.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
454SS rad should do fine. Don't even have to change the upper mounts to use one, and they are 2 core, around 2" thick.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk