Question related to the gasket on the rear differential on my 1994 Chevy C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1994chevycheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I am planning on changing the fluid in my rear differential and I purchased a new gasket. Is it okay to use just the gasket when putting the cover back on or do I need to use some sealant as well?

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dear Newbie,

Preferably, 1.) remove all old gasket material with a plastic gasket scraper and (Gasket Spray Remover Cleaner) to prevent scratching the surface of both housing and cover to alleviate any future leakage.
2.) then give new gasket material a few tiny light dabs of 3M gasket sealant (elephant snot) to hold it in place,
3.) as you retighten and (Torque to Specifications 20 Lb-Ft or 27 N*m);
fasteners in a crisscross pattern.
4.) make sure to get the correct Type (Delco 80w-90 GL-5) and Amount (quarts, or pints) of differential fluid for your particular application, and
5.) don't overfill (to prevent aeration) as you slowly add gear lube oil and check and look at the bottom opening of your filler plug to see that nothing comes out, then retighten to (26 Lb-Ft or 35 N*m).
And always check for leaks!

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I am planning on changing the fluid in my rear differential and I purchased a new gasket. Is it okay to use just the gasket when putting the cover back on or do I need to use some sealant as well?

I changed my 9.5” rear carrier to a gov-lock around 6 months ago. I used the GM gasket dry. Torqued the bolts to spec. So far no signs of any leaks.

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
I never bother with the gasket, just gookum puckey. 1/4 inch bead of RTV all the way around. Never had a leak yet.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The wife's Envoy came with a reusable diff cover gasket, same design as the transmission. Hers has the 8.5" rear end, the 6 cylinders got the 7.5", and the Trailblazer SS got the 9.5". I'd like to nab the 7.5" version for my Camaro and a 9.5" for the 1500. Aside from that I just use a thin smear of silicone on the diff and cover.

1994chevycheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, I got the fluid changed and installed a shiny new diff cover!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media