Humming on deceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so u-joints appear and feel ok. Tight but not overly so. Nice and smooth movement.
Did you remove the driveshaft when checking the joints?

Pinion.....well let's just say it ain't good. It does have play but the play seems limited to in-out vs up and down or side to side. I couldn't locate my socket that fits the pinion nut during lunch today.
If the pinion is loose, the gears have been meshing improperly.

Moderate chance you'll NEVER get those gears quiet again because the wear pattern has been disrupted.

OTOH, it doesn't really hurt to try.

1. Check and see if the pinion nut is loose. If loose, attempt to tighten it properly. Refill and see if the issue is resolved. (Not having high hopes)
Not having high hopes is a good idea.

Stepbyrd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you remove the driveshaft when checking the joints?

If the pinion is loose, the gears have been meshing improperly.

Moderate chance you'll NEVER get those gears quiet again because the wear pattern has been disrupted.

OTOH, it doesn't really hurt to try.

Not having high hopes is a good idea.
Yes, I removed the driveshaft making sure to mark it‘s orientation. The u-joints held their position (no flop) and moved smoothly. Caps were filled with grease and everything moved smoothly.

After I tightened the nut, I also marked the nut and pinion with a paint pen so I could see if it loosens back up.

i took the chance last night and drove it to the store which was about 10 miles round trip. I didn’t hear anything but tire noise. When I got back, I checked and the nut hadn’t moved.

I'm not putting much faith in it long term. I’ve ran into enough problems with this truck because of things the previous owner did (or didn’t do). I strongly feel that a similar circumstance happened on the front differential and that’s what caused it to grenade itself. The 35” tires that were on the truck were so loud they covered any other noises.