Question Regarding 194 LEDs in Corner Markers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blanco_obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven’t done any homework on this topic, but just a few thoughts...
1) If installing LED’s and resistors, does the OEM hyperflash function pick up on a burnt out LED?
2) Is there a relay designed for LED’s which has the hyperflash function?

There is a relay designed for the halogen to led. And no the load from a led makes the system think it has a light out so it automatically hyper flashes. I installed resistors but I’m going to order the relay cause the resistors seems to have a mind of there own at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Digital (as opposed to 'load-based') relay fpr LEDs = EP29 for '95+, &, IIRC, EP36 for pre-'95.
Both plug-n-play.
Resistors get stupid hot. Not a fan of 'em.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
DF,
Next question, what are the upgraded 3457's? Do you still have the factory taillight assemblies in your Suburban?

They're just regular Sylvania 3457s. And no, I'm running Anzo 211140s in both of my trucks. They're very similar to the factory tail lights but eliminate the circuit boards and have a slightly larger reverse light lens.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0038BBHNM

1) If installing LED’s and resistors, does the OEM hyperflash function pick up on a burnt out LED?

Nope. The resistors are what create the load, so the factory flasher would still see the correct load and flash normally.

2) Is there a relay designed for LED’s which has the hyperflash function?

Nope. All the time based LED flashers get rid of the hyper flash function. That's a big reason I wanted to do this.

Last edited:

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
[mention]df2x4 [/mention] [mention]sewlow [/mention] I guess my point was the resistors fake the old relays into thinking there’s a lit bulb (since old bulbs are just resistors), so if the LED burns out, you don’t get an indication i.e. fast blink. You would think the electronic relays for LED’s would have a similar function.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
[mention]df2x4 [/mention] [mention]sewlow [/mention] I guess my point was the resistors fake the old relays into thinking there’s a lit bulb (since old bulbs are just resistors), so if the LED burns out, you don’t get an indication i.e. fast blink. You would think the electronic relays for LED’s would have a similar function.

Right, but if the resistors are wired in parallel with the LEDs then the circuit is still complete even if the LED fails.

And yes you would think that the LED flasher relays would account for failed LEDs in some way, but they don't. They're 100% time based, they just flash at the same interval no matter what. It kind of surprises me that no one seems to mind losing the hyper flash feature when they go full LED.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I use store-front reflections to check my lights.
I found that one of my 3157 LED sig bulbs lights up, but doesn't flash by doing that. Just the other day too. Can't find a match anywhere in town.
...and there's nothing coming outa China right now.

Ohhh...

...wait a minute...
...hmmm.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
...and there's nothing coming outa China right now.

There definitely still is, but it's a gamble on how long it takes depending on what specific post offices it passes through. I've had a few packages from China in the past couple months or so arrive in the standard 10-14 day window, but had a couple that took over a month. One of them almost three months.

It's kind of ironic, I've actually had a couple packages from China show up sooner than my domestic Amazon orders have been arriving. I pre-ordered a new video game from Amazon that was released almost a week ago now and it still hasn't left the warehouse.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@df2x4 Whenever you installed the sb leds did everything work like the orginal 194? Meaning with your lights off the corner lights still blink with the turn signals? And whenever on, the lights blink and dim?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@df2x4 Whenever you installed the sb leds did everything work like the orginal 194? Meaning with your lights off the corner lights still blink with the turn signals? And whenever on, the lights blink and dim?

Everything works as it did originally. With the parking lights switched off, the corner markers flash with the parking lights when you engage a turn signal or the flashers. When the parking lights are switched on, the corners will flash alternately from the parking lights.

If you replace the corner marker 194s with LEDs, they need to be a non polarity sensitive type for proper operation.