Problems after replacing heater hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I blew a heater hose(had a huge hole blowing coolant out the top like a steam engine). I got a replacement hose from o'reileys and put in there. I flushed all the coolant and put new coolant in. When I started it up it was real rough for about 3 or 4 seconds then the idle would smooth out and the service engine light would come on. I noticed a spark plug pulled out a little bit and connected it back, but the problem still persisted after that. Anyone have a problem like this or know what it could be? I was supposed to go to take a trip to florida today when all this happened. Any help would be great. Thanks

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Have you had the code read? Checked your oil for H2o? Pooched thermostat?

Sorry for answering a Q with a Q. More info?

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you had the code read? Checked your oil for H2o? Pooched thermostat?

Sorry for answering a Q with a Q. More info?

Yea I know it's vague. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I didn't see any water when I checked the oil. I thought a head gasket might have burned up or something. The thermostat seems to be fine, just by seeing the coolant rise up and down. Idk how to have the code read. Can you explain this too me further. Thanks

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
...you said pooched.. haven't heard that in ages. haha

is the heater core okay?

How do you know if the heater core is bad? I'm not seeing any antifreeze drip in the cab or anything so idk how else you would check it.

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
How do you know if the heater core is bad? I'm not seeing any antifreeze drip in the cab or anything so idk how else you would check it.

The heater core drips unde the carpet. You won't see it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

here is a video of how it idles roughly when first starting.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The code can be checked by someone that has an OBD reader. By your dash, I'd say that your truck is OBD1, or OBD1.5 if it's the oddball year. (95?) Most decent shops have this. Some parts stores will read it for free.
Sounds to me like it's running rich when it starts up. Does the exhaust puff a bit of black at start up?