Heater hoses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately my radiator has sprung some leaks and needs to be replaced. Since I’ll be in there I’m going to get new heater hoses because they are original from 1996.

When I had the motor replaced I know the quick connect in the motor was replaced but the hose was not. I plan on staying with the stock setup as it hasn’t given me any issues yet.

My question is for the other hose is there a type of hose that is better or stronger? I know my hardware store has some that’s red and reinforced but I don’t know if it’s different from what I’d get at the parts store?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You definitely want to use hose that is intended for automotive heater applications, not something from the hardware store. And, if you're going to stay with the quick connect fitting, your only option there is to get a hose that is made for your specific application as the fitting is crimped onto it already. Go with real GM instead of the Dorman junk.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd think any name-brand heater hose is sufficient.

No doubt there's some bottom-feeder Communist Crap heater hose--there's Communist Crap for every other kind of auto part.

Don't forget to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses, and don't make the mistake of using crappy non-shielded worm-gear hose clamps. The OEM spring clamps are hard to beat; if they're gone either get new spring clamps from the Stealership or a Treasure Yard; or buy the sort of clamps that the hose doesn't cold-flow through a million slots in the clamp strap.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the heater hoses at napa it doesn’t look like there is a lot of options for them.

The radiator hoses are not very old neither is the thermostat. Maybe 2 years? Hose clamps are something that I had forgotten about. When I did my hoses last I used those worm gear clamps and Iv had some issues with them. I’ll add that to my list of things on this project. My other heater hose will be here tomorrow I’ll see if they have a better style hose clamp otherwise I’ll get some oem ones before I do the radiator.

Any other things I should think about? The water pump, hoses and thermostat were done relatively recently I’m mostly just doing the heater hoses as preventative. The radiator is about 5 years old hopefully this next one will last longer

A word of advice to anyone reading this! Do all your cooling system at once if possible! Because it’s almost garunteed if you don’t you will be opening it back up in short order!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the block drains, allow all the sediment in the water jacket to hit the drainpan.

A proper coolant flush before pulling the old radiator is recommended. I typically use the Prestone Flush and Fill kit (but not their clamps.) Better yet, cut your existing heater hose, connect the Flush and Fill kit adapter, and flush the system. Then replace the heater hoses removing the F 'n' F kit parts. That way you don't have to be concerned about the crappy clamps in the kit. Save the F 'n' F kit for the next time.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

www.amazon.com/Prestone-AF-KIT-Flush-Fill-Kit/dp/B000CCFY5W/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2JZCN0X3PEZWW

With the drainplugs out, you don't have a gallon or more of flushwater to dilute the fresh antifreeze.

You didn't say what engine you have. The 7.4L should have two drain plugs near the knock sensors. The small-blocks probably have a drain plug on the driver's side, and the knock sensor is screwed into the drain-plug hole just ahead of the starter. You'll have to re-seal and torque the knock sensor when putting it back in.

No idea what the Diesels have for drain plugs.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No idea what the Diesels have for drain plugs.
They have them in roughly the same place as the gassers. Some genius of a engineer decided to make it so you pretty much have to lift the engine to get access to them. I can't remember what is in the way but if i remember right it is part of the motor mount.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does that mean your truck is 96? When I did my radiator I ordered the 3500 series the radiator core is the full width, or depth of the tanks, four tube rows. And got a silicon blend hose kit. Used to made by Goodyear hose, now is Continental, Goodyear spun off hose division to Continental Tire. Kit is light blue hoses upper/ lower radiator and heater hose and some small bent options. Mine 95 K2500, 5.7 /
Post some photos Sat noon, 2/4