Problems after replacing heater hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
The code can be checked by someone that has an OBD reader. By your dash, I'd say that your truck is OBD1, or OBD1.5 if it's the oddball year. (95?) Most decent shops have this. Some parts stores will read it for free.
Sounds to me like it's running rich when it starts up. Does the exhaust puff a bit of black at start up?

95 was OBD1 and 96 was OBD2 he can use a paper clip to read his since its OBD1

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Never had an OBD1 vehicle. Wouldn't know where to start poking at it with a paper clip. Maybe someone that knows could elaborate.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Never had an OBD1 vehicle. Wouldn't know where to start poking at it with a paper clip. Maybe someone that knows could elaborate.

that link i posted gives a detailed description, you jump the A and B spots on the ALDL (OBD Connector), turn the truck to on but dont start it, then the CEL should flash code 12 (Flash, Pause, Flash Flash) that will happen 3 times, then any codes after that are problem codes, code 12 is fine.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The code can be checked by someone that has an OBD reader. By your dash, I'd say that your truck is OBD1, or OBD1.5 if it's the oddball year. (95?) Most decent shops have this. Some parts stores will read it for free.
Sounds to me like it's running rich when it starts up. Does the exhaust puff a bit of black at start up?

Yea since it started having this problem I noticed some smoke from the exhaust.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
that link i posted gives a detailed description, you jump the A and B spots on the ALDL (OBD Connector), turn the truck to on but dont start it, then the CEL should flash code 12 (Flash, Pause, Flash Flash) that will happen 3 times, then any codes after that are problem codes, code 12 is fine.

Yea I'll have to try that out. It's a 91 btw

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good call! If that's a possibiity, check the wires at the plugs for moisture, too.

It did blow out right next to the distributor so basically everything was wet. Would that ruin the distributor, or would I just need to clean it up along w/ the wires.