Problem with Starter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put the gear reduction in mine recently. I was surprised at just how much quicker it spins the motor over when starting. I paid $75.00 for mine from Evilbay.
We don't have any Chevy's in wrecking yards here....so the nbs starter option doesn't exist for me.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that I have posted this before, but you can go to your local salvage yard and get a starter off of a NBS or NNBS with a 4.3, they still use the same gear reduction starter that the v-8 used from 98-98, just don't get a LS starter because it's mounting pattern is different. I have done this multiple times, in fact 3 day's ago I picked up a starter off of an 07 with a 4.3 that had 20k miles for $40 and now it's on my 96 chevy DD. They work great and are cheap, and they are a good ac delco starter.

So would an S10 4.3 starter work also? The nbs trucks are not some common in the pick and pulls here yet, but S10s are everywhere....

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So would an S10 4.3 starter work also? The nbs trucks are not some common in the pick and pulls here yet, but S10s are everywhere....

It may very well work, but I have never used one from an s-10 and I only like to recommend what I know work's.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may very well work, but I have never used one from an s-10 and I only like to recommend what I know work's.

According to auto zone a 2003 4wd S10 4.3 and a 2003 Silverado 4wd 4.3 do in fact use the same starters they share part numbers DLG9990S and DL9958S. The S10 lists one more though DL9948S. It says sell until depleated so this might be a part number that is being done away with. They all look the same if you trust they took pictures of those actual parts....

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
UPDATE -

I've run into an interesting problem. I've tried a remanufactured starter from all of the major parts stores (AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly's, PepBoys, and NAPA), and none of them fit. The main body of the starter won't insert far enough in for the bolt holes to line up. Its off maybe 1/2" or so. I really wish I still had the old starter still as a template. Any advice at this point?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you tried a starter that was meant for a 95+ fullsize, if so I would like to see a pic of what's going on.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
UPDATE -

I've run into an interesting problem. I've tried a remanufactured starter from all of the major parts stores (AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly's, PepBoys, and NAPA), and none of them fit. The main body of the starter won't insert far enough in for the bolt holes to line up. Its off maybe 1/2" or so. I really wish I still had the old starter still as a template. Any advice at this point?

Does it feel like the starter "head" doesn't quite fit into the hole? Like does it feel tight or is it scrubbing the opening? I had to grind a lil of the opening to fit mine on my 6.5 before the starter would go far enough in to match the mount holes and flywheel, but it's also a straight mount style starter, not angle mount, but the same thing I'm sure can happen with angle mounts.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know that I have posted this before, but you can go to your local salvage yard and get a starter off of a NBS or NNBS with a 4.3, they still use the same gear reduction starter that the v-8 used from 98-98, just don't get a LS starter because it's mounting pattern is different. I have done this multiple times, in fact 3 day's ago I picked up a starter off of an 07 with a 4.3 that had 20k miles for $40 and now it's on my 96 chevy DD. They work great and are cheap, and they are a good ac delco starter.

This is some awesome info above THANKS. In my garage I have a 95 Trans that didn't fit my 93 truck maybe the Trans has to do something with why he's having problems finding a right fit.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried a starter that was meant for a 95+ fullsize, if so I would like to see a pic of what's going on.

I've only tried the ones that fit a '94 fullsize, no other year. I didn't want to start guessing, yet.

Does it feel like the starter "head" doesn't quite fit into the hole? Like does it feel tight or is it scrubbing the opening? I had to grind a lil of the opening to fit mine on my 6.5 before the starter would go far enough in to match the mount holes and flywheel, but it's also a straight mount style starter, not angle mount, but the same thing I'm sure can happen with angle mounts.

The head actually clears, but the main body of the starter hits the dust shield before the bolt holes line up. Beyond that issue, it slides in with no issue.

Forgot to ask, is your's an early or late 94? They made 2 designs for 94.

I honestly don't know. I can provide the VIN if someone knows how to check early vs. late.

Something has always been odd about this truck when it comes to parts. I remember getting the brakes done, and the rear axle seals needed replaced. The repair shop had problems locating the proper seals. I think they ended up getting them off of a 2500 series, or something like that. The starter that I pulled off of the truck originally was slightly smaller than the normal starters from the part store, but larger than the direct-drive starters. I'm very pissed that I took that old one in as a core deposit without at least writing down the part number. Without that, it will be a trial-and-error session for awhile.

I'm going to the part store today to try one more part. I'll take pictures and measurements to see if I can narrow this down, assuming the new part doesn't fit. I've been trying to do this on the cheap, but I'll pay for the direct-drive starter today and pray for better luck.