Problem with Starter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I was trying to determine, but my research is coming up empty. I can see them making a different starter mid-model, but to change the design of the flywheel seemed a bit of a stretch. I know my truck originally had the direct drive starter, not the gear reduction starter, but the Pepboys model direct drive won't fit unless I modify the eyelet on the wire for the main stud (eyelet is too small to fit the main stud).

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
That's what I was trying to determine, but my research is coming up empty. I can see them making a different starter mid-model, but to change the design of the flywheel seemed a bit of a stretch. I know my truck originally had the direct drive starter, not the gear reduction starter, but the Pepboys model direct drive won't fit unless I modify the eyelet on the wire for the main stud (eyelet is too small to fit the main stud).
modify the eyelet, trust me, the gear reductions are worth it.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll go after the gear reduction model and modify the eyelet if necessary. Leaving for vacation on Thursday, so we'll see if I get to it by then. I hope so, but doubt it. I'll have to get the starter and a dremel tool, possibly (I don't have one).

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know that I have posted this before, but you can go to your local salvage yard and get a starter off of a NBS or NNBS with a 4.3, they still use the same gear reduction starter that the v-8 used from 98-98, just don't get a LS starter because it's mounting pattern is different. I have done this multiple times, in fact 3 day's ago I picked up a starter off of an 07 with a 4.3 that had 20k miles for $40 and now it's on my 96 chevy DD. They work great and are cheap, and they are a good ac delco starter.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I know that I have posted this before, but you can go to your local salvage yard and get a starter off of a NBS or NNBS with a 4.3, they still use the same gear reduction starter that the v-8 used from 98-98, just don't get a LS starter because it's mounting pattern is different. I have done this multiple times, in fact 3 day's ago I picked up a starter off of an 07 with a 4.3 that had 20k miles for $40 and now it's on my 96 chevy DD. They work great and are cheap, and they are a good ac delco starter.

Rofl I finally did that after having two NAPA mini starters die on me. Not fun when it happens 1100 miles from home.