Problem with Starter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
:rofl:

I could carry one, but unless I have access to a floor jack or ramp I can't install it. No way in hell do I trust the OEM jack with a truck that sits 4" off the ground at ride height. Just carry a couple of belts, tensioner, alternator, 3 gallons of water, heater hose bypass, toolbox, laptop, etc.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
:rofl:

I could carry one, but unless I have access to a floor jack or ramp I can't install it. No way in hell do I trust the OEM jack with a truck that sits 4" off the ground at ride height. Just carry a couple of belts, tensioner, alternator, 3 gallons of water, heater hose bypass, toolbox, laptop, etc.

That's about what I carry, too. No spare as my tires are staggered & directional.
My BBC was in a 1970 SS396/375hp 4spd. Nova. All stock & original except for headers. 6mpg. Watched the original owner bring it home. Sold it to get get married. DOH!!!

With my truck, I carry AAA (CAA in Canada) so if something like a starter goes, or I get a flat, I just call them. My trucks just too damn low to be working on it in a rest area or the side of the road.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a '94, so I'm not sure if this route would work for me. I'd love to be wrong though.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes it's the same, I have a nbs 4.3 starter on my 93 2DR, and I have put them on older SBC's as well.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some of the older SBC's have a different tooth flexplate, but their starter's have an inline bolt pattern, not the standard SBC staggered pattern.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that for sure. Much cheaper than the other route I was looking to go.

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not much difference between the starters the regular heavy sob turns about 250 rpms, and the gear reduction turns the motor over about 200 rpms

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The gear reduction starter's that I have used srart the engine much faster than the regular big one, that's why I just switched mine out on my 96, now it starts fast.

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I work at a parts store, and I know that both will work on a 94. The only thing is you might have to get shorter starter bolts for the gear reduction, but they use so much less power to turn the motor over it is worth it. I have the big one on my truck right now and i swear if they made them any bigger you would need a transmission jack to install them things lol. the only reason i went with a big one is they are so freaking cheap with my discount at work and I was strapped for money at the time.