Power Steering "weak".

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I missed this on you original post. Lack of BOTH steering AND braking would lead me to suspect the pump, not steering box as a first thing to check.

How long has it been that have the truck?
Well.... the truck has about 280,000 miles on it. I've had it for the past ~100,000. So extrapolate from there?

Assume everything feels normal above 1,000 RPM.

Low-idle:
Brakes are good
Steering is good
Steering when foot on brake, not good.

Does that sum it up clearly enough? ;)
Does that even make any sense?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well.... the truck has about 280,000 miles on it. I've had it for the past ~100,000. So extrapolate from there?

Low-idle:
Brakes are good
Steering is good

That could be bad or dry ball joints or an out of spec alignment as well.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Low-idle:
Brakes are good
Steering is good

I've had that before. I get it a little on the dually in the dead of summer, but the 1500 in sig has a virgin GM pump and box, came off a wrecked dually, probably has 150-160k on it now. The parts store pump and box that came before sucked just like the worn out original parts that came out first.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That could be bad or dry ball joints or an out of spec alignment as well.
No, they're all good. I change them fairly regularly. (LLT from Autozone. I think i'm on my...... fourth(?) full set up ball joint, tie-rod ends, drag-links, etc.)
Alignment? I rotate the tires every other oil change and it's just the usual light feathering. Nothing unusual.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on how handy you are and your motivation, you could try rebuilding them. I think I've seen YT videos on PS steering pump rebuild. I don't know about the gearbox, but I think same for that one too. @Erik the Awful rebuilt one recently IIRC. Maybe he can offer some pointers.
I shot video of the rebuild, but I was fumbling so bad that I'm going to reshoot when I rebuild the one for Roscoe. I still haven't installed the rebuilt one in WCJr.

Both my trucks have the three-bolt gearbox with the little stud sticking out the top of the input splines, and I'm not sure what all the differences are.

The manual sucks. Whoever wrote it was trying to be super-trick in how they laid it out, and it doesn't flow logically when you're rebuilding.

The rebuild kits only come with half the parts. I had to buy the housing seal separately.

The rubber boot that goes over the pitman shaft seals also doesn't come in the kit. I haven't found one yet, but mine's in decent shape, so I'm reusing it.

The bottom ring that holds the lower cap on can be a real PITA. I think I had a worst-case scenario. It was packed in place with dirt and it took me about two hours to get it out.

Use hose clamps to mold the teflon seals tighter to their parts for a full day before you try to install them.

Lube EVERYTHING during installation, and pack the ball bearing tube and splines with some grease to get the balls to stick.

The adjustment is stupid simple and easy, if you can interpret the manual. You'll want to buy a very light 1/4" drive old school beam torque wrench to do it.

If you're fairly skilled, DIY. If not, buy a Redhead or Bluetop.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the OE gm service manual page " chapter 5S-10 " has block chart, JD, JB brakes breakdown, shoe, drum sizes, disc, vacuum or hyd boost. Some parts books, places, ask what options code " JXX " or what shoe drum size? Still OE size not modified here it is without the brake dust and dirt. Good luck!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses!

No wires on the back of my pump. Just one pressure line and two return lines. The issue happens only when the truck is at low idle. ( 575 RPM )

Isn't that idle a little low? That's about where my Buick 430 idles, which is lower than my truck..... I want to say 800rpm for the 454.