Power Steering "weak".

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And it's worth mentioning that a parts store reman will likely produce the same results, at least mine did. Even the GM reman sucked. Next time I'm having Turn One in MI rebuild me a pump. If the innards are junk they'll tell me so I can send another core instead of handing me back worn out junk with new o rings that will only last a year or so.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good point Richard. I was going to mention that it probably wasn't EVO, since that's supposed to "boost" the pressure at slow speeds. That's what I understood on that system.

OP's symptoms are lack of boost altogether. I wouldn't be chasing anything EVO related. If OP doesn't in fact have EVO, this is all moot.

Gearbox or pump are things I'd be having my eye on.
For the OP, EVO is an electric solenoid on the back of the pump with a 2 wire connector that reduces the power steering pressure when the system calls for reduced pressure. It can cause lack of assist when it fails in lower pressure mode. If he has EVO the power steering line will thread in on the front of the EVO extension under the pump. Line threaded in the rear of the pump is non EVO. Line threading in under the front of the pump is EVO.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses!

No wires on the back of my pump. Just one pressure line and two return lines. The issue happens only when the truck is at low idle. ( 575 RPM ). Fast idle (1500 RPM... yeah.... The thing idles at 35 MPH when cold) has no issues. Even as low as 1,000 RPM I have proper boost.... or at least it feels that way. I don't know if the pump or gearbox has ever been replaced. (Neither are leaking.). I doubt it though. I certainly haven't done it.

So reading all the responses.... The general consensus is this is not normal for hydraboost? Brakes seem to be fine, just not the steering at low idle.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about doing a PS fluid flush to start? Maybe you have some debris clogging something under low rpm.

Depending on how handy you are and your motivation, you could try rebuilding them. I think I've seen YT videos on PS steering pump rebuild. I don't know about the gearbox, but I think same for that one too. @Erik the Awful rebuilt one recently IIRC. Maybe he can offer some pointers.

May be a good idea to replace all rubber hoses. They tend to release material on the inside, and they can leak. Some guys have even done PS in-line filters.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disassembled/cleaned/resealed both my pump and steering gear recently. Did a write-up on the pump, which I'll link to here in a bit. Have all the information and photos of the gear cleaning/reassembly but did not write it up for lack of interest in the first one.

There are o-rings that seal the piston inside the steering gear that can leak, and the rotor/vanes/pump housing can have wear and cause low pressures. The pressure relief/regulator could also be an issue. You would need a pressure gauge setup to correctly diagnose those, and check pump output both connected into the system and deadhead to help narrow it down.

Link:

Thread 'How To: Disassemble, Inspect, and Rebuild a Saginaw Power Steering Pump'

Last edited:

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm yeah.... Which brake code do I have because I'm not seeing JB... anything on this.
You must be registered for see images attach

JD7 is the answer... but it's not an option anywhere I try to lookup a proper pump. So.....

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
JD7 is the brake code. GM used D for B on the HB trucks.
And my recently adopted 97 CCLB 3500 has hydro boost and Evo. I've been under it and seen the fitting. Build date on it is late September '96.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...you have a low idle, you can't steer and you can't stop.

It's always been like this...
I missed this on you original post. Lack of BOTH steering AND braking would lead me to suspect the pump, not steering box as a first thing to check.

How long has it been that have the truck?