Power steering pump drive shaft seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I think my power steering pump is leaking at the rear reservoir seals or someplace. I'd like to remove the pump take it apart and put a full seal kit in it. what is the best way to remove the drive shaft seal? The service manual says to use shim stock protect around the shaft and chissel out the seal. What's another way?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a rebuilt from a decent parts store. Spend three times the money, one hundredth the hassle and headache, and you get a warranty.

'Course, before I did that, I'd make sure the leak wasn't a loose fitting on the rear of the pump, and/or a failing pressure or return hose.

delta_p

Reaction score
Not a bad idea. I didn't realize you can get them with or without the reservoir too. I was thinking about the drill and sheet metal screw for the seal. Similar as folks do on a rear main seal.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

delta_p

Reaction score
Which one is better the Maddox or the OTC. Don't want no strippin. : )

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OTC is an four-letter word in my shop. ******** offshored everything to Asia; and their warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

OTC used to be a good company. Bosch ruined 'em.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got an open box special on the Maddox - $30 instead of the regular $40, and all the parts were there in new condition. The pulley on my pump was stuck so bad it broke my homemade tool. The Maddox handled it with ease - the pulley broke instead. $20 for a new pulley and the kit did what my homemade tool couldn't - installed the new pulley on the new pump without heating it in the oven and tapping it on with a hammer.