Power steering lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a question about the power steering lines on my ‘95 C2500. The low pressure line runs from the steering box, down into the frame rail, and back up to the pump. I’ve never seen this before on a truck. Picture below is it running into the frame and then where it runs out and back up to the pump.

Into frame:
You must be registered for see images attach

Looking down:

Is this necessary? On my ‘92 I have a much shorter low pressure line, pictured below:

Can I use a shorter line? I am looking for replacements and don’t see one like the really long one on my ‘95. Also, what is the purpose of it? Does it get some sort of cooling from catching the air pulled into the frame up front?

Thanks!

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @evilunclegrimace stated, it's a power steering cooler in the form of looped lines. Basically, just increased surface area by means of additional lines. The other power steering cooler option is an actual heat exchanger that mounts in front of the radiator.

For a 1995 C2500 with 5.7L (L05) and vaccum-assisted power brake booster:

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @evilunclegrimace stated, it's a power steering cooler in the form of looped lines. Basically, just increased surface area by means of additional lines. The other power steering cooler option is an actual heat exchanger that mounts in front of the radiator.
Interesting. I didn’t know that the line ran through there acted as the cooler, I had figured maybe but wasn’t sure. I don’t want to eliminate it but just couldn’t find parts. A quick search of GM parts direct shows it’s #26049290. I guess I’ll try to track one down. Maybe I didn’t do enough searching. Thank you both for the info.

I think I’ll be able to clean up the connections with new clamps and it will work fine. The high pressure line seems to be the culprit.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's a power steering cooler in the form of looped lines. Basically, just increased surface area by means of additional lines. The other power steering cooler option is an actual heat exchanger that mounts in front of the radiator.
Yep, here's an example...

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@fancyTBI

I edited my original post to include link and parts illustration for your 95 C2500:

I believe this applies to your truck:

For: C2 5.7K(L05),8600 LB/3900 KG GVWR(C6P),3.73R(GT4),4.10R(GT5),3.42R(GU6) (1992-1995) (1992 - 1995).

So, that means the correct #7 for your truck would be PN 26049288. And yeah, I don't see any availability. You can call Stan at Craig Motors, (707) 224-8111, and see if he can locate you one. (Edit: Nevermind. I called him for you and there's pretty much none available in the U.S. He asked if you wanted a used one, but lol, no point in buying a used one. You may have to see if Gates makes one aftermarket, and if not, then you may need to reconfigure your power steering to eliminate the "cooler" line.)

The PN you provided 26049290 seems to apply to a 1992-1994 C1 (i.e., C1500). I don't think it applies to your truck, but could be wrong.

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@fancyTBI

I edited my original post to include link and parts illustration for your 95 C2500:

I believe this applies to your truck:

So, that means the correct #7 for your truck would be PN 26049288. And yeah, I don't see any availability. You can call Stan at Craig Motors, (707) 224-8111, and see if he can locate you one.

The PN you provided 26049290 seems to apply to a 1992-1994 C1 (i.e., C1500). I don't think it applies to your truck, but could be wrong.
Thanks for the info. I got my p/n from GM parts direct for a C2500, but yours is probably right. I think I can just clean up the lines, replace the hose and clamps and be fine. At least I can still get the high pressure side. Thanks again. Learn something new every day.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy who installed the snow-plow mount on my '97 K2500 used bolts that were way too long, going through the frame.

Over time, the PS cooler was rubbed-through. I bought the truck with a huge leak there, took a gallon of PS fluid to get home. I merely bypassed that "cooler".

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not " low pressure line" , it is the " return line " as returning fluid to to reservoir. That was GM engineer's idea for providing some return fluid cooling.