Poor Lazy Man paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TUCSONDUDE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the $50 Rustoleum paint job. Regal Red ~= bright fire engine red, 2 quarts, everything came out to about $100, went through a lot of rollers.
Should have primered to fill in some paint flakes and scratches. Dont use Linzer rollers for this(from ACE). i liked lowes Whizz rollers, didnt try HD. Wet sanded once after third coat, then said F it and put 7 more on. It took 6-7 coats for some of the primer spots to stop showing through. Over thanksgiving did morning and evening coats. The paint really does 'self level' and pops 99% of bubbles on its own.

You must be registered for see images attach

Before dropping property values

Sanded almost complete, pic the day before taping

After i pulled the tape off, guess i had the runs from rolling on.. also some of the White paint peeled off to show bare metal... Ill paint over it later definitely going spray can for the white. Around windows/trim I literally 'cut' the paint with a box cutter because of little bridges over the tape.

Somewhere nobody will ever look(pop out side window)

Had less than a hand of space in the back of the garage. so much for a 2 car.

The tail gate is not done in the below picks.
I can still see some 80gt sand marks(dont ask)
If i look real close and know what i am looking for i can see the outline of the old clear.
I will probably polish and wax it the last week of the year.
Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, and coherent flow.

for the amount of labor this took i would recommend, doing it right or the cheap maaco paint job. However, next time I drive through a tree i can very easily touch it up and roll another coat on.:gr_grin:

Please dont quote

Attachments

• DSC00577.jpg
    DSC00577.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC00579.jpg
    DSC00579.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC00582.jpg
    DSC00582.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00583.jpg
    DSC00583.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00589a.jpg
    DSC00589a.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
it looks good.... so you don't suggest it huh I've tossed the idea around a few times since I'm just going with a matte black

Sent from my static android

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest it either, but you did an awesome job with what you had. It looks better for sure.

TUCSONDUDE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the 40+ hours i think i spent on it vs 2-300 to pay someone... Also the corners cut, not great sanding, no priming, virtually no sanding between coats, waiting a week to find runs when it is to late to deal with them.

Would i do it again? maybe depends on what i am doing to the vehicle... if your just going matte black i would think it would hide a lot of the imperfections. Also if my garage was taller I would have borrowed a compressor learned to spray rather than roll it on.

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
for the way it was dun i have to say it dont look bad at all... i wouldnt hesitate do it to a mud truck or something if i had one. But by far it looks alot better than before for sure.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I'm just totally scared of spraying me and I buddy turned a hood into like a week long adventure trying to get it to look decent.... I didn't do any spraying just helped out but man it seemed like a nightmare. of course it may be way different going with matte instead of gloss. now when I used to build deer blinds I sprayed all the framework and towers they went on, and they looked good but that was just angle iron so I don't know how well I could do on big flat surfaces.

Sent from my static android

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have painted many jeeps with slightly thinned gallons of white rustolum. White hides the imperfections better than any other color.