Polishing wheels on cheap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After winter my wheels have gone really rough from all the salt on the roads(we hardly have any snow in Oxford but they spread it everytime temperature drops below 0 Celcius) and since my wheels were new I was thinking what to do with them-plastidip maybe or have them painted. And then my friend brough this. Peek-3.48£ a tube.The stuff is cheap and pretty amazing-second picture is taken after I cleaned it by hand (only the middle bit with stud holes was buffed using a drill).
The buffing kit was from ebay(10£) and seem to have been made for my wheels-the roll bit fitS EXACTLY in the holes,that bigger cone cleans the dips around the holes, smaller cone was for the middle bit.
I used regular corded drill. Took my few hours to finish so it's a "1 a day"job (I'm just lazy lol) but I enjoy them again just the way I like them-or will when I finish all 4.
I share this for all of you guys who wonder how to address the issue-I had no idea what to use to buff em out so this is 1 of the options.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A favour please DS! Can you measure the OD of your wheel centres and post here - and what's written on them (can't quite make it out in the photos)? One of mine got a bit bruised during recent tyre replacement. Suspect mine are larger (8 lug wheels) but maybe the same and a UK source for them.

Your wheel (yes singular!) has polished up really well. Will it stay that way or will it be like with Solvol Autosol - the moment you turn your back.....

Told you starting a thread was easy. Good to see you got the hang of it!

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A favour please DS! Can you measure the OD of your wheel centres and post here - and what's written on them (can't quite make it out in the photos)? One of mine got a bit bruised during recent tyre replacement. Suspect mine are larger (8 lug wheels) but maybe the same and a UK source for them.

Your wheel (yes singular!) has polished up really well. Will it stay that way or will it be like with Solvol Autosol - the moment you turn your back.....

Told you starting a thread was easy. Good to see you got the hang of it!
Thanks for your help on the matter. I understand you want diameter of centre caps? 107.95. It says"Raceline on them.
As to the wheels I will put wax on them and see if they will hold. If not then plastidip is proly best option

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An update-finally I managed to finish all four-had weekend off and enough(ish) time to do it. It took 3 days in total.It's a hard work and I'm knockered.Front wheels put up more fight than rear ones-I guess it's down to the fact that they get warmer from braking. Some of the dirt is nicely baked in and to make them absolutely immaculate I'd need another 2 days probably and wolud have to use some sandpaper-selection of 800 to 3000. Applies to the holes mostly and recessed areas around holes. So yeah I cut some corners on this but it's good enough. I'll put wax on them now and will see if they can survive winter. If not-I'm not doing it again lol
For now she's pretty again.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo