Please help with a handful of issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Door pins arrived yesterday. I'll probably get around to replacing them sometime in the next two weeks. I haven't even driven my truck for a week. Thinking about hitting the JY tomorrow so maybe I'll take it out then.

On the door pins, does anyone grease/lube these things? If so, with what?

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me know when you find out.......Mines the same way

Looks like another pin. You have to grind off the top and drop it out and then put in a new pin. Now I'll have to wait to do my door pins until I can get this pin in. I'm debating replacing both of them, while I'm at it, but don't really want to spend the money.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me know when you find out.......Mines the same way

Looks like this is the winner. I'll let you know when I put it in. If you search in AZ database it says that this is for 99+ vehicles, but on the back of the packaging it says 1988-2008. Part # is 38433 from Autozone. It's a Dorman part.

You must be registered for see images attach

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought a 98 Chevy Silverado Ext Z71 4x4 a month ago. It's got a few problems that I need to remedy. I searched around a little bit and did not see threads about these issues. While I'll have more time to delve into this items later, I thought I post here 1st to see if any of these are common known issues.

Oil leak - Drivers side VC is covered with oil/dirt. Not sure what the little thing coming out of the top of the VC is, but it looks like it may have a torn boot or something on it. Not 100% sure if there is a crack in the boot or if it's coming from somewhere else yet.

Coolant Low - Low coolant. Looks like there may be a leak somewhere along the housing on the drivers side.

Passenger side 3rd door window - Seal is very poor. Let's in a lot of outside sounds.

I'll get those things fixed here shortly. It does have a catalytic converter that needs to be replaced as well.

About once every 2 weeks, all of the sudden my winshdield wipers/fluid sprayer won't work. Just hear an electrical sound, but no movement. The fact that it's the wipers AND the sprayers makes me feel like it's more of an electrical issue or that the all-in-one wiper/brights/cruise lever is going out. Any thoughts?

The armrest lever that opens the armrest is really finnicky. Is there a writeup on here to taking it apart/fixing it? If not I may just have to tear into it to see what the issue is. Just sort of feels like not everything lines up.

I'm looking for some aftermarket lighting options that I like. I'll probably replace all of them eventually. Casually looking for some aftermarket HID headlights/housings with the proper HID projectors. Some tailights and 3rd brake light that I like also(possibly LED). I went to the JY and found an autodim mirror. My truck didn't have one, so when I pulled it I pulled the entire wiring harness so I can just plug it in. Also looking for a visor homelink unit that I can plug in. I'll probably put it in the headliner instead of the visor. The other option is that I may make a homelink button and install it where the Fog light button would be if I had foglights.

Anyway, now I'm rambling. Any suggestions/info appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Oil leak: Oil tends to track from the front to the back and from the top down. I know that there is a lot of turbulence in the engine compartment while going down the highway that can cause oil to go everywhere, but I would check the oil filler neck seal. Yours is about 14 years old now and in no better shape than the PCV grommet, probably hard as stone and cracked. Check it out, cause looking is free!

Low Coolant: You said it's going down the driver's side of the housing? What housing are you referencing? If it's the intake, then it's more than likely an intake gasket leak, VERY common to Vortec engines. I know most shops will charge you parts and 3 to 4 hours labor to replace them, so do it yourself if possible.

You mentioned later that you have a "readout" which I will assume means that your CEL was on and you had the codes pulled and cleared? I'm guessing you've got a cat efficiency code, or a downstream O2 code on one bank? Can you tell me all the codes that were set? That would help point you to a better solution.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oil leak: Oil tends to track from the front to the back and from the top down. I know that there is a lot of turbulence in the engine compartment while going down the highway that can cause oil to go everywhere, but I would check the oil filler neck seal. Yours is about 14 years old now and in no better shape than the PCV grommet, probably hard as stone and cracked. Check it out, cause looking is free!

Low Coolant: You said it's going down the driver's side of the housing? What housing are you referencing? If it's the intake, then it's more than likely an intake gasket leak, VERY common to Vortec engines. I know most shops will charge you parts and 3 to 4 hours labor to replace them, so do it yourself if possible.

You mentioned later that you have a "readout" which I will assume means that your CEL was on and you had the codes pulled and cleared? I'm guessing you've got a cat efficiency code, or a downstream O2 code on one bank? Can you tell me all the codes that were set? That would help point you to a better solution.

I just picked up the grommet today(special order part from AZ) so I'll swap that out soon. I grabbed a long oil cap extension peice from the JY. I wiped off the VC a couple of weeks ago so I'll look to see if there is any new oil when I go out there to replace the grommet.

On the coolant, I can't really tell where, but by housing I mean the rad housing on the drivers side. Can you give me more detail on the intake gasket location? I don't take my vehicles to the shop unless absolutely necessary. I'm new to this platform, but consider myself a capable garage mechanic. On my car of done LIM gasket, oil pan gasket, valve covers, CV axle swaps and other things so I'm not too worried about anything on this truck I've seen yet.

I've got a scanner. I can read/clear codes. The main code is the P0430 code. Readout said something about being a bad cat, but could be due to a misfire or other issue with certain cylinders. There was one additional code, but I can't remember what it was. The only code that reappears is the p0430. Open to ideas on what to do with this one. I guess I'm basically skeptical that it's the cat. I don't mind replacing it if it is the issue, but not really sure where to start on this. I'd hate to replace the cat but still have an issue.