Please help with a handful of issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, with a p0430 you're looking at possibly the downstream O2 not functioning properly or a bad cat. If you don't have a misfire code, not running overly rich or overly lean, and the vehicle is generally running well, then your likely looking at one of those two options... For what it's worth, a complete Y-pipe assembly is around three hundred bucks with new cats. You can also just replace the faulty cat, but given the age of the vehicle the other is properly close on its heels.

I think you're talking about the passenger side tank on the radiator. If coolant is coming from the tank itself, or the seal between the aluminum core and plastic tank, then you'll likely need to have it repaired or replaced. I just recently had to replace the rad in my Burban, so I know that feeling. The gaskets that I referred to are the LIM gaskets, and are notorious for failures and internal/external coolant leaks. I wouldn't replace them unless they've already failed or you just want the peace of mind to know that it's done right, but if they're holding then leave them be.

It would really help to know the other code that is being set, as it may lead to a better solution. These engines are notorious for cap/rotor problems as well, so you may want to check, or likely replace them as well to prevent future issues.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, with a p0430 you're looking at possibly the downstream O2 not functioning properly or a bad cat. If you don't have a misfire code, not running overly rich or overly lean, and the vehicle is generally running well, then your likely looking at one of those two options... For what it's worth, a complete Y-pipe assembly is around three hundred bucks with new cats. You can also just replace the faulty cat, but given the age of the vehicle the other is properly close on its heels.

I think you're talking about the passenger side tank on the radiator. If coolant is coming from the tank itself, or the seal between the aluminum core and plastic tank, then you'll likely need to have it repaired or replaced. I just recently had to replace the rad in my Burban, so I know that feeling. The gaskets that I referred to are the LIM gaskets, and are notorious for failures and internal/external coolant leaks. I wouldn't replace them unless they've already failed or you just want the peace of mind to know that it's done right, but if they're holding then leave them be.

It would really help to know the other code that is being set, as it may lead to a better solution. These engines are notorious for cap/rotor problems as well, so you may want to check, or likely replace them as well to prevent future issues.

I've priced out the cat at about $100 and have a place that will install it for about $40. What do you mean by "the other is probably close on it's heels" What do you mean by "other".

I just filled the coolant all the way up and ran the motor for a few minutes up to temp. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I find any leaks or anything. If there is a leak, I don't think it's the LIM, but I'll check it all frequently until I find the problem or verify that it is all good.

As far as codes, I can probably find the printout again, but the code had to do with the brake pedal sensor(I think it was called the stop lamp module or something like that). Not anything engine wise. I was not getting any codes for misfires or anything else.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright. I fixed the door pins today on both doors. Not sure entirely if the passenger side needed it, but the roller pin was broke so I had to remove the door anyway to deal with that. I had a friend help me out. To support the door I used the jack method. I put a 6" soft wheel from my bench grinder for padding.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here are before and afters of the door. The pin striping makes it easy to see the difference between before and after.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've priced out the cat at about $100 and have a place that will install it for about $40. What do you mean by "the other is probably close on it's heels" What do you mean by "other".

I just filled the coolant all the way up and ran the motor for a few minutes up to temp. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I find any leaks or anything. If there is a leak, I don't think it's the LIM, but I'll check it all frequently until I find the problem or verify that it is all good.

As far as codes, I can probably find the printout again, but the code had to do with the brake pedal sensor(I think it was called the stop lamp module or something like that). Not anything engine wise. I was not getting any codes for misfires or anything else.

Some of these trucks had dual cats, and some a single with dual inlets. If yours is a single, disregard that statement. If it's dual cats, then you may wish to replace both now and save yourself any trouble with the second failing in similar fashion. For dual converter systems, those are about three hundred or a little less. For single converter systems, you can get the assembly for 220, and replace the whole thing. Your call, of course, just making you aware of your options.

I somehow got the impression that you had a misfire, but I suppose that was from the possible symptoms for a P0430 code.

rotnhoe

Reaction score
There is a factory recall on the wiper control module. Took my 96 hoe to chevy dealer 12/28/11 ,they replaced module free of charge.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a factory recall on the wiper control module. Took my 96 hoe to chevy dealer 12/28/11 ,they replaced module free of charge.
Cool, thanks. It looks like my solders are holding for now, but if it acts up again I'll go get it replaced.