Please help with a handful of issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought a 98 Chevy Silverado Ext Z71 4x4 a month ago. It's got a few problems that I need to remedy. I searched around a little bit and did not see threads about these issues. While I'll have more time to delve into this items later, I thought I post here 1st to see if any of these are common known issues.

Oil leak - Drivers side VC is covered with oil/dirt. Not sure what the little thing coming out of the top of the VC is, but it looks like it may have a torn boot or something on it. Not 100% sure if there is a crack in the boot or if it's coming from somewhere else yet.

Coolant Low - Low coolant. Looks like there may be a leak somewhere along the housing on the drivers side.

Passenger side 3rd door window - Seal is very poor. Let's in a lot of outside sounds.

I'll get those things fixed here shortly. It does have a catalytic converter that needs to be replaced as well.

About once every 2 weeks, all of the sudden my winshdield wipers/fluid sprayer won't work. Just hear an electrical sound, but no movement. The fact that it's the wipers AND the sprayers makes me feel like it's more of an electrical issue or that the all-in-one wiper/brights/cruise lever is going out. Any thoughts?

The armrest lever that opens the armrest is really finnicky. Is there a writeup on here to taking it apart/fixing it? If not I may just have to tear into it to see what the issue is. Just sort of feels like not everything lines up.

I'm looking for some aftermarket lighting options that I like. I'll probably replace all of them eventually. Casually looking for some aftermarket HID headlights/housings with the proper HID projectors. Some tailights and 3rd brake light that I like also(possibly LED). I went to the JY and found an autodim mirror. My truck didn't have one, so when I pulled it I pulled the entire wiring harness so I can just plug it in. Also looking for a visor homelink unit that I can plug in. I'll probably put it in the headliner instead of the visor. The other option is that I may make a homelink button and install it where the Fog light button would be if I had foglights.

Anyway, now I'm rambling. Any suggestions/info appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The line coming out of the drivers side valve cover is the breather tube. If it is broken, oil vapor will make its way on to the valve cover.

As for the wipers,there is a circuit board mounted on the driver's side of the firewall, they commonly go bad. I am replacing mine in my '92 tomorrow, its a very simple fix and wont run you much over $20.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks guys. Glad to know those two things are easy. Keep the suggestions coming. I'll take a closer look at that valve cover. So I'm confused on this. One says it's PCV and another breather tube. Or is this just the breather tube that is connected to a PCV valve? Forgive my ignorance. I know my L67 Buick like the back of my hand, but new to this platform.

Also, I picked up a mirror at the JY the other day that has a compass in it and is auto-dim. I pulled the wiring harness all they way to where it plugs in to a wiring block under the dash. I was reading somewhere and I guess some of these mirrors do temperature as well? Can anyone give me more info on that?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The pre '96 trucks have a breather on the drivers side and PCV valve on the passenger side. I'm not sure about the 96-98 vortecs, someone will chime in.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone in UT have(or know of someone local that has) a door alignment tool? Mostly an issue on the drivers side. Passenger could use a little lift as well. Don't really want to put a jack under the door.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normally when the doors are sagging its the hinge pins and bushings are wore out.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks guys. Glad to know those two things are easy. Keep the suggestions coming. I'll take a closer look at that valve cover. So I'm confused on this. One says it's PCV and another breather tube. Or is this just the breather tube that is connected to a PCV valve? Forgive my ignorance. I know my L67 Buick like the back of my hand, but new to this platform.

The passenger side is the breather tube that runst to the intake tube, drivers side has the PCV valve in it connected by a rubber boot and plastic tube to the TB if i remember right