Passenger airbag switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, so since it's impossible to find a passenger airbag switch, does anyone know if the nbs ones fit the obs trucks? Like, it the harness the same? Will it throw a code? Will my airbag explode in my face? If I get in an accident will it not blow at all?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're messing with airbags, you're dealing with explosives. Unless you're an engineer, you want no part of that, and that's from the kind of guy who loves repurposing stuff and parts swapping.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Okay, so since it's impossible to find a passenger airbag switch, does anyone know if the nbs ones fit the obs trucks? Like, it the harness the same? Will it throw a code? Will my airbag explode in my face? If I get in an accident will it not blow at all?
Let's be clear about one thing; if you're doing anything with the airbags (bags themselves, switches, sensors, module etc.) you disconnect the battery, cause if you don't one day your luck will run out and you'll get one in the face.

If you're really desperate I think I have a spare I grabbed from a 98 parts truck, but I also live in Southern Ontario. If you wanna figure out the shipping cost my postal code is N0H1R0

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I used one from, hmm this was 5 years ago, maybe an S10. I also wanted to move its location. my original switch was broken. it had the same connector and wire colors if I remember correctly. I'm not an engineer but if you disconnect the battery and pull the fuse it should be safe to unplug a plug and plug it back in. it turned my airbag light off and functions as it should.

heres that extra connector.

You must be registered for see images attach

heres the switch.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
YOU CAN BUY A USED SWITCH ON EBAY FOR THAT VEHICLE ONLY !!!! DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, SWAP OUT THE SWITCH, RECONNECT THE BATTERY, START VEHICLE, AND CYCLE THE SWITCH ON AND OFF TO SHUT OFF THE AIR BAG LIGHT WHICH WILL COME ON WHEN THE MODULE SEES THE NEW SWITCH. 1998 SIERRA BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Impossible? I usually see quite a bit of pass. airbag switches at the salvage yards. *If the bezel hasn't been yanked..

If anything, I'd stick with a factory OEM switch that fits these trucks, especially with something as dangerous as an airbag.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Let's be clear about one thing; if you're doing anything with the airbags (bags themselves, switches, sensors, module etc.) you disconnect the battery, cause if you don't one day your luck will run out and you'll get one in the face.

If you're really desperate I think I have a spare I grabbed from a 98 parts truck, but I also live in Southern Ontario. If you wanna figure out the shipping cost my postal code is N0H1R0
What the owners manual recommends on the 800 series trucks (99-06 pickup/2000-06 SUV) is before disconnecting the battery, pull the air bag fuse. IIRC on our 06 Yukon XL Denali, it's a 15amp blue plug in fuse. I had to do this the last time I changed the battery out on this truck, and didn't have any issues with the air bag system. The air bag system has a power reserve in it that lasts for a few minutes after the ignition is shut off....

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
YOU CAN BUY A USED SWITCH ON EBAY FOR THAT VEHICLE ONLY !!!! DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, SWAP OUT THE SWITCH, RECONNECT THE BATTERY, START VEHICLE, AND CYCLE THE SWITCH ON AND OFF TO SHUT OFF THE AIR BAG LIGHT WHICH WILL COME ON WHEN THE MODULE SEES THE NEW SWITCH. 1998 SIERRA BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT.
INSIDE VOICE PLEASE

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I havnt found one.

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also want to clarify, I'm not trying to modify or play with anything. The previous owner broke all the retaining clips for the switch, so its just kinda being held in the slot by hopes and dreams. I asked if the nbs small square switch works bc I see a bunch of them. I wish there were salvage yards near me that you can walk in and look around and pull ****. The junk/salvage yards in long island are like parts stores. You need to know the pn or its a 5 minute argument.