Airbag Went Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That changed early in 96. He should have an early 96. Between me & my buddy, we are sitting on 7 obs, 3 of which are 96s w/ passenger airbags
I’d like to see a photo of one and the 10th character in the VIN to see that it’s a true ‘96 that hasn’t been swapped.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
96 model year has no passenger air bag I could be wrong on this but I think either half way through june or the begining of july is when the model year change over is if it says 07 96 it is a 97 if it says 06 96 hard to tell

99xcss4

Reaction score
the one thing that I can not understand though is 2500 pickups over 8600 gvwr have no air bags but 2500 suburbans do and while do not know what the gvwr of a 2500 suburban is I would think it would be the same as the pickups

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the one thing that I can not understand though is 2500 pickups over 8600 gvwr have no air bags but 2500 suburbans do and while do not know what the gvwr of a 2500 suburban is I would think it would be the same as the pickups
I believe there around 8k+~- curb weight. Mine being a 2wd is like 5400+~- I was confused why they didn't get rear sway bars, yet the 1/2 ton burbs did...

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think the idea with the Burbs was they were more likely to have passengers than the 2500/3500 pickups. Families getting killed in new Suburbans would be bad PR for GM.....
When our first '99 Burb got wrecked (the most severe wreck that eventually totalled it) the bags went off. Probably helped my Dad walk away unscathed from the wreck.... They got hit by a red light running and speeding fwd Monte Carlo, while they were at low speed just coming into a left turn they had the green light for. Bent the frame and wiped the front end on the Burb, but that ol 5.7 Vortec was still running even though vital fluids were coming from everywhere.
The MC on the other hand, those two idiots went to the hospital, and the engine ended up on the console. No insurance either which is one reason why we have uninsured motorist coverage.....

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think the idea with the Burbs was they were more likely to have passengers than the 2500/3500 pickups. Families getting killed in new Suburbans would be bad PR for GM.....
When our first '99 Burb got wrecked (the most severe wreck that eventually totalled it) the bags went off. Probably helped my Dad walk away unscathed from the wreck.... They got hit by a red light running and speeding fwd Monte Carlo, while they were at low speed just coming into a left turn they had the green light for. Bent the frame and wiped the front end on the Burb, but that ol 5.7 Vortec was still running even though vital fluids were coming from everywhere.
The MC on the other hand, those two idiots went to the hospital, and the engine ended up on the console. No insurance either which is one reason why we have uninsured motorist coverage.....
Yup, pissed me off too! But the worst part was arguing with our insurance over how much to pay out. Mom and I spent several hours going through our maintenance records to show them how well we'd cared for the vehicle and what we had invested in it. What they finally gave us was not enough, but was just enough to get our current Burb in early 2013. Wreck was after Thanksgiving weekend 2012.

99xcss4

Reaction score

Yup, pissed me off too! But the worst part was arguing with our insurance over how much to pay out. Mom and I spent several hours going through our maintenance records to show them how well we'd cared for the vehicle and what we had invested in it. What they finally gave us was not enough, but was just enough to get our current Burb in early 2013. Wreck was after Thanksgiving weekend 2012.
while I am sad to read this I do think you are spot on imho I think air bags can equally help and hurt I do not know about today but a few years ago you could still order a 3500 with only a drivers and or steering wheel air bag

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm getting the dash back together, and I do have all the airbag wiring hooked up.
You must be registered for see images attach

Do you think there is any risk of the new airbag deploying with even with the fuse pulled?
You must be registered for see images attach

My brother is currently driving my Blazer since his Jeep broke, so I kinda need to drive the Burb again for a bit.