Passenger airbag switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let's be clear about one thing; if you're doing anything with the airbags (bags themselves, switches, sensors, module etc.) you disconnect the battery, cause if you don't one day your luck will run out and you'll get one in the face.

If you're really desperate I think I have a spare I grabbed from a 98 parts truck, but I also live in Southern Ontario. If you wanna figure out the shipping cost my postal code is N0H1R0
Thank you. I'll look it up now

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I couldnt find one either and they were all broken in the pickups that I had access to so I started looking in other vehicles. I didnt modify anything either, I just cut the plug off the doner vehicle along with the switch to verify if the colors matched. whatever the vehicle was, it was from the same era, I didnt think it would work but it did.

I dont think it was from a van, looks like it may have been an S10 judging by google images of dashes and I dont see one in the van's.

Al

Last edited:

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let's be clear about one thing; if you're doing anything with the airbags (bags themselves, switches, sensors, module etc.) you disconnect the battery, cause if you don't one day your luck will run out and you'll get one in the face.

If you're really desperate I think I have a spare I grabbed from a 98 parts truck, but I also live in Southern Ontario. If you wanna figure out the shipping cost my postal code is N0H1R0
Looks like it's about $29 us if I did it correctly through FedEx. But I also put a 1lb 4x4x4 in package. Who H it probably excessive and it could be shipped in a flat rate envelope.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’d be willing to grab a few air bag switches for people who needed em.
I usually see a lot of those in the yard.
You should pull all you can find. Like the OP, mine fell apart in my hands when I pulled the bezel to work on my AC switch. It is JB welded back together but, doesn't work if I turn off the passengers air bag, I get the air bag light on the dash. As long as I leave it set to air bag on, I'm good, but I really don't want that air bag going off in a wreck. I almost never have a passenger.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So glad my truck doesn't have a PS air bag. But if I hit up any of my local yards i'll pull a few if need be that is for sure.
I have put off getting one from pull-a-part because I know it won't be any better than the one I have most likely. It's hard to find any good plastic in the junk yard, and here, with 20+ years of the extreme summer heat we see, it just makes things worse.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also want to clarify, I'm not trying to modify or play with anything.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize the switches were disintegrating in other climates.

As stated, when you work on the airbag system, take the battery loose and wait five minutes for the module to discharge. The airbag system has a capacitor built-in so it can still fire if the battery cable gets severed.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize the switches were disintegrating in other climates.

As stated, when you work on the airbag system, take the battery loose and wait five minutes for the module to discharge. The airbag system has a capacitor built-in so it can still fire if the battery cable gets severed.
Its a real issue down here. Ever more so if the vehicle sits out side in the sun all of the time like mine does.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Looks like it's about $29 us if I did it correctly through FedEx. But I also put a 1lb 4x4x4 in package. Who H it probably excessive and it could be shipped in a flat rate envelope.
I forgot to check my parts bin and I'm not at home now :banghead: Will let you know if I have one when I'm home again sorry. If I do did you want to have it shipped?