Parking brake cable lube suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Any if you have suggestions for cable lube? I've replaced both rears on my 1995 suburban k2500 already (last year? or previous year?) with AC Delco and have both starting to drag on releasing. Climb under and they both return into the sheathing with a bit of assistance.

I know there's Blaster, CRC, Liquid Wrench, and others. No experience here with any of them, hence looking for suggestions.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A type that is more a lube and less solvents. Aerokroil, crc power lube, don't remember the name, red and white spray can also contains lanolin to make it stick and repel water, good experience.
Lubeing aircraft control cables, Bowden cables similar to park brake cable. Squirt lube in , the use rubber pointy nozzle low air pressure to blow lube through whole length of cable. Nice and smooth. That's what I do. :waytogo:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JB80 or similar liquid lubricant, not a "penetrant".

Keep in mind that the stranded-steel cable is probably going through a nylon/Teflon conduit. Nothing you spray in from the outside is going to lube the cable. You'd need to force it in from one or both ends, so it wicks down the stranded-steel cable inside the plastic liner.

I bought a cable-lubing tool about thirty five years ago, similar to this one.
www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0182-Cable-Luber/dp/B0012TYX9W/ref=sr_1_5?
But that's probably not big enough for a park-brake cable sheath. Works great on motorcycle clutch cables, though.

burntorange84

Reaction score
To my 99 Burb, I replaced the cables as well with AC delco ones, but I've added a small return spring to the adjuster; and specifically to help the passenger side pull fully off. I had done the same to my 98 Silverado, lubed with blaster to no avail. After installing the springs, I haven't warped the drums on either trucks since. I call it the part GM forgot but it could be they just had better made parts? I used a spring off a spare gmt400 seat. Why they didn't use a central pivoting cable adjuster is beyond me...
-j

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I hang mine up with a small funnel that I have that fits on the housing of the cable and fill the funnel with fluid film and wait, when it runs out the other end it is ready to be installed. ( this might take a day or more but up here in the salty north it is worth the wait)

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Another thing you can do as a preventive measure is spray the exposed cable with motorcycle chain lube( the sticky kind)

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I've not touched it yet, weather has been nice and honey-dos have been in high demand.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something that won't freeze!

I had an '04 Burban and one winter it got really cold, and the cable froze and we couldn't drive anywhere for a few days.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been using Fluid Film, it's passed a bunch hoops apparently to get approval from ,NASA, DOD, and a Mil spec, won't harm or discolor paint or metals. Does not dry out, and stays sticky. So used on exposed threads, under over exposed bolt heads and washers. Try to reduce corrosion here and there.